Persian: no stealing and no drinking in the holy months

< Previous | Next >

seitt

English/Welsh
Greetings,

In a film I was watching, a criminal was falsely claiming that he was a virtuous man and, with regard to himself, said the following (according to the subtitles):
“No stealing and no drinking in the holy months!”

How might one say this in Colloquial Persian, please?

It almost seemed like a fixed expression, something that someone says about himself or others to make out that he himself or one of his friends is actually a good person and not a criminal.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

• eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Uhm, I don't know if we have a fixed expression for this or not, maybe Searcher123 knows about that, but "drinking" is not normal in our society, so one cannot say "no drinking in holy months"! because we don't do it in other months neither! (Exclude the ones who drink in private)
    But normally in holy months like Ramadan, thieves or beggars or etc. stop or lessen doing bad jobs, and there is less criminal records on the holy months.

seitt

English/Welsh
    Many thanks - I've just recalled that the word which the subtitles translated as 'drinking' was نجسی, which is presumably wider than just drinking and refers to any wicked behaviour. So what you say about a general improvement in behaviour in the months in question would seem to be most apt.

Phosphorus

Kurdish
    Greetings,

In a film I was watching, a criminal was falsely claiming that he was a virtuous man and, with regard to himself, said the following (according to the subtitles):
    “No stealing and no drinking in the holy months!”

How might one say this in Colloquial Persian, please?

It almost seemed like a fixed expression, something that someone says about himself or others to make out that he himself or one of his friends is actually a good person and not a criminal.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon
    As the previous contributors have declared, drinking is not a common act in the socio-religious context of the Iranian society at any given time (due to its prohibition in Islam). But I can recall certain friends of mine that used to refrain from drinking or intimate relationships (either extra or premarital-both also canonically prohibited) during Ramadan and Mu7arram (in which Shiites, as well as some Shafi Sunnites, lament the martyrdom of Imam Hussein).

< Previous | Next >