Persian: origin of هنرپیشه (actor/actress)

Haji Firouz

Romanian
Hello,

I was wondering about the origins of the word هنرپیشه ("actor"/"actress").
I noticed it is derived from هنر , which means "knowledge"/"art"/"skill"/"talent", according to: هنر - Wiktionary

However, any career path requires talent and knowledge in order to be succesful. How would you explain that particularly the word for actor/actress has talent in its root?

Curious as usual to read your replies 🙂 / Happy Val everyone!

Thanks,

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I was wondering about the origins of the word هنرپیشه ("actor"/"actress").
    I noticed it is derived from هنر , which means "knowledge"/"art"/"skill"/"talent", according to: هنر - Wiktionary
    هنر these days refers to 'art' only (maybe it has always done), something that can not necessarily be taught/learned.

پیشه means profession/job and هنرپیشه by this definition applies to whoever earns a living from their artistic skill, I don't think much thinking went into selecting it for an actress/actor.

Last edited:

fdb

French (France)
    This (modern) Persian word is presumably a calque on French "artiste" (in the sense of "actor, actress").

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    This (modern) Persian word is presumably a calque on French "artiste" (in the sense of "actor, actress").
    Yes it is, in fact artiste/آرتیست is still used, certainly by the older generation mainly for an 'actor'.

I think ‏هنرمند is closer to artiste/آرتیست but there we are.

Haji Firouz

Romanian
    Thank you! It makes much more sense to me now, and it also reminded me that in Romanian we have the expression "artist of cinema" (to put it literally) - for actor/actress. It's rather out of use.