Persian: Savas

EternoBGV

Thai
Hello,

The India Meteorological Department, which is responsible for naming the tropical cyclones over the northern Indian Ocean, has announced a new list of cyclone names in which the names submitted by Iran are: Nivar, Hamoon, Akvan, Sepand, Booran, Anahita, Azar, Pooyan, Arsham, Hengame, Savas, Tahamtan, and Toofan.

I have managed to find the spelling and meaning of all these names in Persian, except Savas. Could anyone please tell me how to write it in the Persian alphabet and what its meaning is? There is a weather news page that spells it as ساواس, but I can't find the word with this spelling in any online Persian-English dictionary. I also wonder if it could be سوس which, according to some dictionaries, means 'liquorice'.

• Persoman

Farsi (Iranian Persian)
    This word perhaps doesn't exist in Modern Persian.
    فکر کنم این واژه اصلاً در فارسی وجود نداشته باشد.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This word perhaps doesn't exist in Modern Persian.
    فکر کنم این واژه اصلاً در فارسی وجود نداشته باشد.
    ممکن است سیاہ وش باشد۔

Please see the reference below and footnote 4.

تنبيه الملوك والمكايد

بھرام بن ساوس and according to Tabari بھرام بن سیاہ وش

Therefore ساوس = siyaah-vash = blackish/black-like

Last edited:

Persoman

Farsi (Iranian Persian)
    شاه وش که گمان کنم همان معادل
    Kingly
    در انگلیسی باشد.
    ضمناً، هیچ رابطه بین شهوش و مباحث هواشناسی نمیبینم حقیقتاً

Qureshpor

شاه وش که گمان کنم همان معادل
    Kingly
    در انگلیسی باشد.
    ضمناً، هیچ رابطه بین شهوش و مباحث هواشناسی نمیبینم حقیقتاً
    Apologies. In between your reply, I had amended my response.

Treaty

Persian
    I think it may be a word in an Iranian dialect or a variant (or misspelling) of the Turkish given name savash "archer".

Persoman

Farsi (Iranian Persian)
    I speak a hybrid of Standard Spoken Persian and Lori dialect
    No offence meant, but I can't quite comprehend your obsession with this word,
    If it was common I'd recognized or at least associated it with another word.

EternoBGV

Thai
    I speak a hybrid of Standard Spoken Persian and Lori dialect
    No offence meant, but I can't quite comprehend your obsession with this word,
    If it was common I'd recognized or at least associated it with another word.
    I understand that it sounds weird to specifically ask something like this :). I am interested in the names of tropical cyclones, and would like to know the meanings of all of them, not only this word. As I said, I have been able to identify all of the words submitted by Iran, except this one.

Qureshpor

I understand that it sounds weird to specifically ask something like this :). I am interested in the names of tropical cyclones, and would like to know the meanings of all of them, not only this word. As I said, I have been able to identify all of the words submitted by Iran, except this one.
    I have provided the answer in post no. 3!

Shandol

Persian
    Hello,

The India Meteorological Department, which is responsible for naming the tropical cyclones over the northern Indian Ocean, has announced a new list of cyclone names in which the names submitted by Iran are: Nivar, Hamoon, Akvan, Sepand, Booran, Anahita, Azar, Pooyan, Arsham, Hengame, Savas, Tahamtan, and Toofan.

I have managed to find the spelling and meaning of all these names in Persian, except Savas. Could anyone please tell me how to write it in the Persian alphabet and what its meaning is? There is a weather news page that spells it as ساواس, but I can't find the word with this spelling in any online Persian-English dictionary. I also wonder if it could be سوس which, according to some dictionaries, means 'liquorice'.
    Hello,

I have just found the news:

مدیرکل هواشناسی سیستان و بلوچستان اضافه کرد: با توجه به اینکه سواحل سیستان و بلوچستان بیشترین تأثیرپذیری از وقوع این پدیده را دارد، نام‌های ایرانی بومی «آرشام، هامون، اکوان، گاندو، سپند، میترا، آناهیتا، آذر، پویان، هنگامه، ساواس، سیستانه و توفان» برای طوفان‌های احتمالی آینده انتخاب شده که در فهرست نهایی سازمان جهانی هواشناسی نیز پذیرفته شده است.
    [...]
    حیدری با بیان اینکه تعدادی از این اسامی بومی استانی هستند، گفت
    [...]
    ‌طوفان‌های شمال اقیانوس هند نام‌گذاری ایرانی می‌شوند ‌- اخبار استانها - اخبار تسنیم - Tasnim

I think, the word "savas" is a regional dialect, used in the Baluchestan region in the sense of a particular type of shoe:
    بانوان بلوچ از چهار نوع کفش به نام ( 1) سواس ( 2) موچي ( 3) کتوک و تک کول استفاده مي کردند.

سواس: نوعي دمپايي که از درخت يا از پورگ تهيه مي شد.
    1590376769011.png

Last edited:

Treaty

Persian
    I have provided the answer in post no. 3!
    That's very improbable.
    I think, the word "savas" is a regional dialect, used in the Baluchestan region in the sense of a particular type of shoe:
    And why should they use a type of shoe for the name of a cyclone? The names should be personal names. I'm not sure this meaning suits a baby name. There should be another meaning or, it is from another language.

Shandol

Persian
    And why should they use a type of shoe for the name of a cyclone?
    Well, the same question could be asked for the other terms!
    Why they chose "سیستانه" for instance, for the name of a cyclone? Or "سپند"?
    سپند
    لغت‌نامه دهخدا

سپند. [ س ِ پ َ ] (اِخ ) مخفف «اسپند» که کوهی بوده است در سیستان .
    I believe it's just local color and puts emphasize on the region - Sistan and Baluchestan Province.

Treaty

Persian
    Well, the same question could be asked for the other terms!
    No, we couldn't. Others are either topical (توفان بوران نیوار) or a personal name (including سپند). There is no سیستانه or گاندو to begin with (Iran never sent them or WMO didn't approve them). So, there must have been a better meaning or origin for ساواس

Shandol

Persian
    Others are either topical (توفان بوران نیوار) or a personal name (including سپند).
    I doubt that.
    هامون
    لغت‌نامه دهخدا

هامون . (اِخ ) نام دریاچه ای است در سیستان
    "هامون " and "سپند " are not topical names. Nor have they been chosen because they probably could be used as "personal names".

سپند ---> The name of a mountain in Sistan.
    هامون ---> The name of a lake in Sistan.

I believe it's just local color and puts emphasize on the region - Sistan and Baluchestan Province.

< Previous | Next >