Persian : seyed / syed /sayyid

Daffodil100

Chinese
Hello Everyone,

1. hereditary title (e.g. seyed) which is only eligible for descendants of Prophet. It is officially considered as a part of the first name.
Quoted from Treaty's remark in another thread.

What does seyed mean? How to spell it in Persian?

Thank you!

Edition: Previously the thread title was asking Treaty to answer it, because Treaty responded it with another thread of mine. But I appreciate anyone for replying to any thread of mine. I changed addressing "Hello Treaty" to "Hello Everyone"

Last edited:
  • Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    I see that you have specifically addressed this question to Treaty but allow me to butt in since we covered it in some detail here.

The spelling of the word (better transliterated into English as sayyid as per the original Arabic word) is the same for Arabic, Persian, Urdu and other languages using the Arabic script. There is a shaddah / tashdiid on 'ya'.

Hope it helps.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your help, Faylasoof.

I do welcome any forum member to respond to any thread of mine. Sorry, I inappropriately wrote the title that I ONLY asked Treaty's help, because I quoted Treaty's remark of another thread.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    I apologize again for my inappropriate title of this thread, and many thanks to Aflaaz again.

Here's a reply of another forum member named Aflaaz who sent PM to me, about this quetion of mine, because my thread title is about question to Treaty.

Here is a Wiki article on Saiyyid. It means a chief, prince, سردار، پیشوا، رہبر and is also used as a title as Treaty has said in his quote. It would be written as follows (with a tashdeed, which you have asked about in the other thread): سَیّد - seen zabar ye (alone) = sai , but since there is a tashdeed the pronunciation changes to saiy + yid (ye zer daal).

The tashdeed calls for the letter to be doubled, so (مِلّی) mil-li

I didn't answer in the forum because the question was directed towards Treaty!:)

Edit: Aflaaz would like me to repost his words as he revised the orginal post a little bit.​

Last edited:

Faylasoof

Thank you very much for your help, Faylasoof.

I do welcome any forum member to respond to any thread of mine. Sorry, I inappropriately wrote the title that I ONLY asked Treaty's help, because I quoted Treaty's remark of another thread.
    Most welcome Daffodil!
    I'll change the title! You can of course address anyone in the forum in particular but best not to include that in the title. Within the post is fine.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    Most welcome Daffodil!
    I'll change the title! You can of course address anyone in the forum in particular but best not to include that in the title. Within the post is fine.
    Thank you very much. I will remove the addressing to Treaty too in my post.

Faylasoof

I apologize again for my inappropriate title of this thread, and thank you very much to Aflaaz again.

Here's a reply of another forum member named Aflaaz who sent PM to me. I think Aflaaz wouldn't mind that I post it, as there is no any personal info. I'd like to post it because I don't want to waste Treaty or another forum member's precious time if the answer is close.

Here is a Wiki article on Saiyyid. It means a chief, prince, سردار، پیشوا، رہبر and is also used as a title as Treaty has said in his quote. It would be written as follows (with a tashdeed, which you have asked about in the other thread): سَیّد - seen zabar ye (alone) = sai , but since there is a tashdeed the pronunciation changes to saiy + yid (ye zer daal).

The tashdeed calls for the letter to be doubled, so mil-li.

I didn't answer in the forum because the question was
    directed towards Treaty!
    Yes, this is how we understand as one of the meanings of the word but as I explained in the thread linked above (post#2) the meaning is derived from the Arabic verb to become master etc. In MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) the same word is used to mean "Mr."!

Last edited:

Treaty

Persian
    The original pronunciation and meaning of سید in Arabic is as mentioned by Fayalsoof. However, in [colloquial] Persian it is pronounced "seyyed", "seyed", "sed" or even "sey" while the Arabic pronunciation is sometimes used in formal language. In Iranian Persian سید is only used for descendants of Prophet. However, in Dari, it may also refer to a low rank cleric as well (as far as I know).

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I see that you have specifically addressed this question to Treaty but allow me to butt in since we covered it in some detail here.

The spelling of the word (better transliterated into English as sayyid as per the original Arabic word) is the same for Arabic, Persian, Urdu and other languages using the Arabic script. There is a shaddah / tashdiid on 'ya'.

Hope it helps.
    While I am well aware of the proper form of this word, it is also widely heard pronounced sayyad/sayyed in Urdu as well, notwithstanding the original pronunciation of sayyid which is also heard. I think the former is also considered acceptable.

Steelkilt

English-North America
    I am also interested in this question, especially the pronunciation aspects. A colleague spells his 1st name "Seyed," & it's unclear as to the correct pronunciation he expects. So which, in Persian, would be best (transliterated to English):
    1) Sáy-yed (rhymes with"way-bed, " accent on 1st syllable)
    2) Say-yéd
    3) Sígh-yed (rhymes with"high-bed, " accent on 1st syllable)
    4) Sigh-yéd

I know we should just ask him directly, & I guess we're all a bit embarrassed (too embarrassed) to do so.
    So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Treaty

Persian
    #1 is the most common pronunciation (if he is Persian). If you pronounce it in Australian accent (rhyming with sad-bed), then it would be the (very) formal pronunciation.

What does seyed mean? How to spell it in Persian?
    In Farsi it does not mean آقا as in Arabic means. In old times we can see in poems and prose used as آقا or بزرگ یک قوم but may be from hundred years ago there is no such a meaning. In Iran as may be other language, people use some epithet to respect people. These epithet find later religious color as سید، مشهدی، کربلایی....etc. سید is one of famous within them as it shows that the family was descend from prophet Mohammad!!!??? some people add this to their name to be respectful from other people view and it helped them in their business. Some to show others, they are real سید!!!! wore around their wrest, a green piece of fabric!!!! you may know after Arab invade Iran some of them remain in Iran and made their family. And specially in a period of time Arabs were in pressure of their government, they immigrant as refuge to Iran, so there was a mix generation..... Today among some of young racist people سید is not respectful and only showing they are not originally Iranian!!!!
    سید in Farsi mostly pronounce in two ways. one is colloquy and the other is formal I suggest if you can understand Farsi, listen to Dr Amini. He talks about history of سید in Iran but maybe only you need to pick word pronunciation.
    so disregard the history only listen to the pronunciation he use both pronunciation as well!

< Previous | Next >