Persian: tachte/tachtehe? siaa

Haji Firouz

Romanian
Hello folks,

تخته سیا or تخته ی سیا or تختهه سیا
Which is the correct way to say black board? Please advise.
And if I use 1) wouldn't it be confused with black bed?

Thank you!
Regards,

Last edited:
  • PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Which is the correct way to say black board? Please advise.
    And if I use 1) wouldn't it be confused with black bed?
    a blackboard or a black board is: تخته سیاه/taxté siâh and you can work out which from the context.
    a black bed is تخت سیاه/taxte siâh

a تخته ی ‏سیاه‏/taxtéye siâh is a definite/known/specific one e.g. when compared to a تخته ی ‏سفید/taxtéye sefid

Last edited:

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    a blackboard or a black board is: تخته سیاه/taxté siâh and you can work out which from the context.
    Haji Firouz's original question is of interest to me, though:
    Why doesn't تخته require an ezafe, even if تخته سیاه is a collocation? I never thought about it, but Samad Behrangi's ماهی سیاه کوچولو also doesn't have an ezafe.

a تخته ی ‏سیاه‏/taxtéye siâh is a definite/known/specific one e.g. when compared to a تخته ی ‏سفید/taxtéye sefid
    In the case of ماهی سیاه کوچولو, isn't the story about a very specific black fish - that little black fish? Shouldn't it therefore be mAhi-e siAh kuchulu?

Last edited:

Treaty

Persian
    taxte-sīyāh is a compound word meaning "blackboard". A "black board" is taxte-ye sīyāh. Only in colloquial Persian it is possible to omit the ezaafe.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Why doesn't تخته require an ezafe, even if تخته سیاه is a collocation?
    تخته سیاه is a compound word (noun-adjective) similar to ریش سفید/white-beard or آبمیوه/fruit juice, if you add ezâfé to the noun element of either of these the meaning changes, to 'the black board', 'the white beard' etc., ریش سفید روستا/riŝ sefide rustâ - the wise man of the village, is very different to riŝe sefide rustâ which, as it happens, is meaningless in this case.

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    What about ماهی سیاه کوچولو then? Should I see it as a name or one big compound word?
    Not a compound mainly because compounds are made of 2 parts also because it means: the little black fish, of course it is probably pronounced without any ezâfé which might present itself as a compound.

Note: There are a few examples of 3 part compounds e.g. آبگرمکن/water heater where آبگرم is already a compound hence it is treated as one word and کن has been added to make آب + گرم +کن, it could even be آب + گرم کن

Last edited:

Treaty

Persian
    ماهی سیاه کوچولو is a children's book written in a somewhat informal language. Hence, it is pronounced without ezaafe.

In the case of ماهی سیاه کوچولو, isn't the story about a very specific black fish
    ماهی سیاه کوچولو name of Sammad book is a noun with two adjectives. So the correct pronunciation I think is Mahi-e - siah-e ...., the best way is to know how to pronounce it is Naser Zeraati ( is a writer himself) read the book and you can find it on Youtube.
    If you see some people call it without Kasreh, the name is too long and naturally try to omit some part of it as you can see in French.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >