Persian: the morals of chess

Negaran

Persian-farsi
در اینجا و در رابطه با شطرنج به معنای اخلاقیات است؟morals نام کتابی است نوشته بنجامین فرانکلین.آیا the morals of chess

• Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    در اینجا و در رابطه با شطرنج به معنای اخلاقیات است؟morals نام کتابی است نوشته بنجامین فرانکلین.آیا the morals of chess

As far as I know, it's the name of an essay and if that matters I've already read some parts of it.
    Morals here means "اصول اخلاق".

Negaran

Persian-farsi
    اخلاقیات is right .
    I just did not knew is that meaning right when used with chess?

Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    I just did not knew is that meaning right when used with chess?
    For knowing that, you ought to read the excerpt,
    Let me copy some lines of it so as to make the matter more clear,
    Fourthly, if your adversary is long in playing, you ought not to hurry him, or express any uneasiness at his delay. You should not sing, nor whistle, nor look at your watch, nor take up a book to read, nor make a tapping with your feet on the floor, or with your fingers on the table, nor do anything that may disturb his attention.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    ^^^ So ‘morals’ here refers to a set of behavioural rules that should be observed by the players, I get it.

Morals here means "اصول اخلاق".
    This is correct, I hadn’t actually seen the line that gives the context, I mean: “The morals of chess", I think اصول اخلاقی works well too, so اصول رفتاری/اخلاقی بازی در شطرنج

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Based on what has been said in another recent thread, I wonder what the pure Persian for "morals" would be. :)
    The best pure Persian I found is: دانش بد و نیک خویها, not very succinct, from Dehkhoda.

Last edited:

Torontal

Hungarian
    Isn't اخلاق too "strong" for it? What about آداب in its place, i mean etiquette, rather than morals of chess playing?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Isn't اخلاق too "strong" for it? What about آداب in its place, i mean etiquette, rather than morals of chess playing?
    I agree, moral/moralis in Latin means "pertaining to manners", so آداب or رفتارها is the correct interpretation.

So one can have no morals, in its wider meaning, as long they conform to behavioural rules of chess then they have observed ‘The morals of chess’.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    That's what I was thinking as well while reading all the previous posts. I know Arabic loan words in Persian (or any other language) don't necessarily work the same way they do in Arabic, but still أخلاق didn't sound right to me for this context, and if I were translating this to Arabic, I'd use آداب and not أخلاق.