Persian: there was a surge of runners

taraa

Persian
Can you please explain the Farsi equivalent of 'surge' here?

All at once, there was a surge of runners at the finish line.

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    درود. گمان کنم یکی از آن توده‌های مه‌آلود که گه‌گاه هنگام ترجمه ذهن را مورد هجوم قرار داده واژه و زبان مادری را، البته به‌ شیوه‌ای کلافه‌کننده گذرا، به کل از خاطر محو می‌کنند بر شما یورش آورده باشد. جای درنگ نیست. خیل یاران پارسی‌گوی در دم چون موجی پرزور و فشارنده که به کناره‌ای بکوبد و در گودی‌های آن انباشته شود بر این پرسش فراز آمده خواهند کوشید از ازدحام فکر‌های نگران‌کننده بکاهند و واژه‌ای یا تعبیری درخور بیابند، البته با کمک خودتان. حدس می‌زنید دونده‌ها سر خط پایان چه کرده‌اند، از آن دوری جسته یا از آن گذشته یا ناگهان آن‌جا اجتماع کرده‌ و بر آن تل‌انبار شده‌اند؟

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    سلام
    مورد دوم
    ز آن گذشته یا ناگهان آن‌جا اجتماع کرده‌ و بر آن تل‌انبار شده‌اندا
    ؟

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I think many runners suddenly seem to arrive at the finish line all at the same time, making a nice little crowd on that spot. So, while they don’t necessarily fall on top of each other in a heap, there is a sudden notable increase in their number, contrary perhaps to a time a little earlier when there were only one or two such runners arriving together at any given time. So maybe a sudden surge here is a bit like ناگهان یورش بردن.

taraa

Persian
    Many thanks!
    Does it have the same meaning here too?
    Data reveals a link between social media use and a surge in health issues.

Last edited:

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Well, first we would like to hear what you think. It’s only fair, after all! Does surge basically have the same meaning here as in the other sentence? And if so, what Persian word or words would you use for it when translating this other sentence? Thanks!

taraa

Persian
    Well, first we would like to hear what you think. It’s only fair, after all! Does surge basically have the same meaning here as in the other sentence? And if so, what Persian word or words would you use for it when translating this other sentence? Thanks!
    I think 'یورش' isn't a corect translation here but I don't know what other word to use.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    I agree, I think it isn’t either. More suited to a sharp rise in the rate of illnesses reported is, in Persian, perhaps some such word as ‘soaring’, ojgiri, but I am sure there are better words out there, though I am afraid I can’t think of anything else, either.

taraa

Persian
    I agree, I think it isn’t either. More suited to a sharp rise in the rate of illnesses reported is, in Persian, perhaps some such word as ‘soaring’, ojgiri, but I am sure there are better words out there, though I am afraid I can’t think of anything else, either.
    Thank you so much. :thank you: :thank you:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Surge is an unusual or sudden increase; in the flow of something e.g. in flow of electricity, water in the sea, or in the numbers in a process e.g. in the number of users, participants, voters or runners in a race.

Surge in the case of runners is a sudden increase in the number of runners running together usually towards the end of the race, so افزایش نابهنگام/ناگهانی/غیر منتظره دوندگان

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Surge is an unusual or sudden increase; in the flow of something e.g. in flow of electricity,, water in the sea, or in the numbers in a process e.g. or in the number of users, participants, voters or runners in a race.

Surges in the case of runners is a sudden increase in the number of runners running together usually towards the end of the race, so افزایش نابهنگام/ناگهانی/غیر منتظره دوندگان
    Thank you so much for the great explanations. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:
    Sorry does 'surge' in the folloing have this meaning too, please?

Data reveals a link between social media use and a surge in health issues.