Persian: to change

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
سلام

I know both عوض کردن غییر دادن mean “to change (transitive)”. Is there a difference between them and are there any other words to express “to change (transitive)”?

میخواھم دنیارا عوض کنم
میخواھم دنیارا تغییر دھم/بدھم
“I want to change the world.”

متشكرم

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    میخواھم دنیارا عوض کنم
    میخواھم دنیارا تغییر دھم/بدھم
    “I want to change the world.”
    In this context they have the same meaning, the option with تغییر is more formal.

In the following you can't use تغییر دادن:
    کفشم را عوض کردم چون برای پایم تنگ بود
    I changes my shoes as they were tight for my feet. (here عوض کردم means "I swapped")

Other examples:
    زندگییم را تغییر داده ام
    I have change my life.

رنگ کفشم در آفتاب تغییر میکند
    The colour of my shoes change (appear/look different) in the sun.

تغییر دادن and عوض کردن can often interchange so can تغییرکردن and عوض شدن.

Last edited:

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Okay, so تغيير دادن and عوض كردن mean "to change" and are transitive, while تغيير كردن and عوض شدن mean "to change" but are intransitive. Thanks.

But there is a difference between تغيير دادن and عوض كردن: the former means "to change" in the sense of "to alter/modify" while the latter means "to change" in the sense of "to replace".

So, the following two sentences would not mean the same thing:

ميخواهم زنم را تغيير دهم
    ميخواهم زنم را عوض كنم

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    ميخواهم زنم را تغيير دهم
    ميخواهم زنم را عوض كنم
    Funny enough they do mean the same thing in the given context:
    “I want to change my wife” in other words make a change in her, since a spouse can’t simply be replaced/exchanged.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Got it. But how would a husband say it in the sense of "I want to replace my wife with another one."? My guess is ميخواهم زنم را عوض كنم. But I guess a native speaker such as you would never take it to mean that.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    But how would a husband say it in the sense of "I want to replace my wife with another one."? My guess is ميخواهم زنم را عوض كنم. But I guess a native speaker such as you would never take it to mean that.
    I’m sure you appreciate such comments/statements can’t be made without some pretext, but assuming the scene has been set then this is more like what would be said:
    میخواهم با یکی دیگر ازدواج کنم I want to marry someone else.

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Got it. But how would a husband say it in the sense of "I want to replace my wife with another one."? My guess is ميخواهم زنم را عوض كنم. But I guess a native speaker such as you would never take it to mean that.

Natives certainly do replace spouses, though to openly express a desire to make that change is a bit insensitive. May I also suggest that a clearer (and inevitably more crass) way to put it would be to say می‌خواهم همسرم را تعویض کنم.

Or, می‌خواهم او را با کسِ دیگری جای‌گزین کنم.