Persian: tomorrow

DrLindenbrock

Italian
A quote from Bienvenidos, if I may.:)

The interesting thing is that in Farsi sabaah means tomorrow
As a learner of Iranian Persian I've always heard that the word for "tomorrow" was fardâ / فردا. Do you use sabâh / صباح in Afghanistan?
At this point, could we summarize the situation a little? E.g., examples "standard" Persian, colloquial Iranian, colloquial Afghan, colloquial Tajik etc. ... :)
Xodâfez / خدافظ

• Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    I didn't also know that "sabâh" can mean "tomorrow". We don't have it. And in poetry, as far as I remember, it only means "morning". I'd like to know if dear Afghans use "fardâ" or they just use "sabâh".

I think, "sabâh" means "tomorrow morning". In Tajiki Persian, they say "pagâh" and I have heard that "sabâh" is actually Arabized form of this word. "pagâh" means "[early] morning" but in Tajiki it means "tomorrow" as well.

DrLindenbrock

Italian
    In Tajiki Persian, they say "pagâh" and I have heard that "sabâh" is actually Arabized form of this word. "pagâh" means "[early] morning" but in Tajiki it means "tomorrow" as well.
    Thank you for your information! :)
    Are you sure that "sabâh" comes from (is an adaptation of) "pagâh"?
    I always thought "sabâh" was a native Arabic word. Also the passage from P to S (saad) doesn't seem a common pattern...
    Of course it could be right, I was just wondering if you were reasonably sure about this! :)
    And yes, dear Afghans, please tell us if you use "fardâ"! :)

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    I'm not sure. that's why I said "I have heard" :D I read it in a page quoting from a work written by a Syrian (Arab). I agree. It doesn't seem to be right although l'impossible est possible :D Anyway, I just mention it because in Tajiki they say "pagâh" for "tomorrow".

I checked Moin Dictionary and it didn't have "tomorrow" as a sense for sabâh. Both sabâh and pagâh mean "early morning". I still think that sabâh meant "tomorrow morning" and later found an extended meaning of "tomorrow" especially that Pahlavi for tomorrow is fradâg -> fardâ.

Let's see what dear Afghans say ;)

Abbassupreme

United States, English, Persian
    According to my Persian teacher, "sabaah" means morning wind or breeze. It makes sense to me that the Afghan Persians would say "morning" to signify "tomorrow", as Spanish does the same thing:
    Manana (with a tilde on the first n, but I can't do that on this computer.)= Morning, Tomorrow

Bienvenidos

USA
    English
    Hi everyone :) :D

Afghanistan:

WRITTEN:
    fardâ --> tomorrow
    SPOKEN: sabâh --> tomorrow

THE WORD FOR "MORNING" is súb, with a Spanish u)

Tomorrow morning : Sabâh súb
    In the morning: Tha súbaquí

Using Spanish accents...reverting back to my old transliteration style I used way back when I joined the forums.

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    THE WORD FOR "MORNING" is súb, with a Spanish u)

Tomorrow morning : Sabâh súb
    In the morning: Tha súbaquí
    For morning we say sobh. We have also bâmdâd in written language which is used in some registers e.g. in TV: xabar-hâ-ye bâmdâdi: morning news; xabar-hâ-ye nimruzi: midday news; xabar-hâ-ye šâmgâhi: night news (I hope I have written their English equivalents correctly).

Tomorrow morning: fardâ sobh

Now, I have a question. What do you say for "tomorrow night"? sabâh šaw?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    'sabâh' in Arabic means 'morning'. 'Tomorrow' in Arabic is 'ghad'.
    Just a clarification: "Tomorrow" in Arabic would be "ghadan" or "al-ghad." In Palestinian Arabic we say "bukra" (I have no idea where it comes from).

MOST-WANTED

Afghanistan
    it because in Tajiki they say "pagâh" for "tomorrow".

Let's see what dear Afghans say ;)
    I think pagah means late afternoon between 4 o'clock (pm) and 5 pm.

Farda and Sabah both are comman also in speaking language in Kabul, but not sure in other province of Afghanistan

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    Dear MOST-WANTED, I have an example here that says pagâh means fardâ in Tajiki Persian:

پدرم پگاه از مسکو می آمدگی است. شايد فردا پدرم از مسکو بيايد

MOST-WANTED

Afghanistan
    Dear MOST-WANTED, I have an example here that says pagâh means fardâ in Tajiki Persian:

پدرم پگاه از مسکو می آمدگی است. شايد فردا پدرم از مسکو بيايد
    Interesting to know that they using a kind of Auxilary verb i.e
    آمدگی

Well Pagah was used in Old Persian as my grandma said.
    But i am not sure why Tajikis are using this for early morning.

< Previous | Next >