Persian: traditional/conventional

< Previous | Next >

taraa

Persian
Can you please translate 'traditional' and 'conventional'? Are they different?

1- The conventional solution to this problem is to wrap the two updates up into a single transaction, like this"

2- It follows from this example that if multiple assignment were supported, there would be no need for deferred checking in the traditional sense (i.e., checking that is deferred to end-of-transaction).

An Introduction to Database Systems, Date

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    In the above contexts:
    traditional =>: common/usual/standard sense مفهوم عادی/معمول

conventional => contractual/formal solution
    راه حل مرسوم

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    In the above contexts:
    traditional =>: common/usual/standard sense مفهوم عادی/معمول

conventional => contractual/formal solution
    راه حل مرسوم
    Thank you so much. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:
    So are these two different to you , please?

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Sorry but why did you use 'مرسوم' that is from 'رسم' for 'convention' not 'tradition'?
    Now you see the difficulty, yes مرسوم means رسم ‏شده ‏ but in Persian we don't always use Arabic correctly. In the context of your question, راه حل مرسوم if correct for 'conventional solution', you could use راه حل مطابق قواعد.

It is better to get a feel for the difference between 'tradition' & 'convention' in English as it become easier to pick the right word in Persian, unfortunately in this case the words we have in Persian are of Arabic origin which are not always used in their original meaning.

Of course we also have آیین for tradition‏ and پیمان or ‏قراردادی (half Arabic) for convention.

taraa

Persian
    Now you see the difficulty, yes مرسوم means رسم ‏شده ‏ but in Persian we don't always use Arabic correctly. In the context of your question, راه حل مرسوم if correct for 'conventional solution', you could use راه حل مطابق قواعد.

It is better to get a feel for the difference between 'tradition' & 'convention' in English as it become easier to pick the right word in Persian, unfortunately in this case the words we have in Persian are of Arabic origin which are not always used in their original meaning.

Of course we also have آیین for tradition‏ and پیمان or ‏قراردادی (half Arabic) for convention.
    Interesting, I really wasn't aware of that, thank you so, soooo much for the awesome explanations. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you:

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Convention قانون، قواعد و ضوابط
    Unless these have acquired different meanings in Persian, they don’t seem right — the Arabic words are much stricter / more rigid than “convention.”
    I would translate “convention” as شيء متعارف عليه in Arabic.
    قانون = law
    قواعد = rules
    ضوابط = regulations

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Thank you elroy.

I would translate “convention” as شيء متعارف عليه in Arabic.
    قانون = law
    قواعد = rules
    ضوابط = regulations
    In Persian we don't use شيء متعارف عليه & the three I mentioned overlap in meaning in most contexts which may also be the case in Arabic, at least for قانون and قواعد, I can't be sure on that though.

In Persian بی ضابطه & بی قاعده (also بی ترتیب ) have the same meaning (بی means -less and without) meaning "order less/unarranged/shambolic".

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Persian we don't use شيء متعارف عليه
    Right, I suspected you didn’t. I wasn’t suggesting that as a Persian equivalent. I don’t speak Persian. I was talking about Arabic only.
    the three I mentioned overlap in meaning in most contexts
    My point was that I wouldn’t use any of them for “convention” in Arabic, so if they mean the same thing in Persian as they do in Arabic, then they may not work in Persian either.
    which may also be the case in Arabic, at least for قانون and قواعد
    They overlap, or don’t, as much as the English equivalents I gave, more or less.

< Previous | Next >