Persian/Turkish: etymological dictionaries

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
Hi all,
I'd like to ask if there are any etymological dictionaries for Turkish and/or Farsi.
The reason I ask is that there are so many words in common (sometimes with different meanings) beteween these two languages and Arabic. As there are no etymological dictionaries in Arabic -at least until now- I thought maybe we could be lucky enough to have such resources in any, or both, of these languages.

Any idea ?

• Bienvenidos

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Cherine, this is a wonderful question; I've noticed that when we post in our respective languages, a lot of the words are the same. I've searched around the internet a little and it seems like there has only been one Farsi etymological dictionary, which was made somewhere around 1893. I'll keep searching, and I'll let you know.

Bien

la tierra

Turkish
    I want to write an URL.But an error comes up saying that "you are only allowed to post URLs after you have made 30 posts or more" :S

la tierra

Turkish
    I have written there "hal" meaning situation in Turkish, and something like that " حول " comes up:))

Also if you see something like "~Ar" or "~Fa" near a word, it means that the word derives from Arabic or Farsi.

mansio

France/Alsace
    Bienvenidos

Thanks a lot for the Türkçenin Etimolojik Sözlüğü. I needed it.

Bienvenidos

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Hey again Cherine,

It seems as if there currently is no major Farsi etymological dictionary, but I found this article about one that is being compiled for future release.

Hope it helps! :)

Bien

< Previous | Next >