Persian: twists & turns

taraa

Persian
I found the meaning of 'twist' and 'twist and turn':
twist= پیچیدگی، تاب، پیچ خوردگی
twist and turn= if a path, road, stream etc twists and turns, it has a lot of bends in it

But what does 'turn' mean?

This thread has taken many twists & turns & the main point sometimes gets lost.

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    In English, it has to be taken as a single expression, meaning "changing path, many unexpected curves or unexpected changes of direction".

I believe the Persian expression has been incorporated into Urdu as well, but only figuratively to indicate a state of mind: agitation, vexation, distress.

"turn" is a substantive in the English expression, it means a bend in the road, or a rotation in one's direction, in order to properly face said bend.

It can also have a positive sense, "a man of twists and turns" can be someone complicated, but also someone resourceful, one who can quickly adapt to changing circumstances.

For example, Odysseus in The Odyssey, is "a man of twists and turns". (πολύτροπος: shifting, versatile)

[Edited]
    If you are asking what the difference is between "twisting" and "turning", the former gives an idea of contortion in relation to some main axis. the second simply indicates a rotating movement without such idea.

If you are asking what does "turn" add to the idea of "twist and turn", probably not much. Poetic English is fond of alliterations, and the repeated sound t... t... is appealing to them.

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Thank you so much for the great explanation. :thank you::thank you::thank you:
    Is 'twist' equivalent to 'پیچ ' and 'turn' equivalent to ' تاب'?

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I have no idea because I don't speak Persian at all.

If the Urdu dicionary is any indication, it is the reverse: تاب conveys the idea of "twisting" (as in زلف پرتاب ) = plaited tresses, and پیچ conveys the idea of rotation as in coiling, wrapping, screwing, entangling, etc.

taraa

Persian
    I have no idea because I don't speak Persian at all.

If the Urdu dictionary is any indication, it is the reverse: تاب conveys the idea of "twisting" (as in زلف پرتاب ) = plaited tresses, and پیچ conveys the idea of rotation as in coiling, wrapping, screwing, entangling, etc.
    Many thanks. :thank you: :thank you: