Persian, Urdu: headphones/earphones

Alfaaz

English
Background:

This Persian article currently suggest دوگوشی apart from the transliteration هدفون.

This Urdu dictionary entry currently suggest اُذنک, apart from the transliterations ایئر فون and ہیڈ فون.

• Edit: The previous link was not working properly. The entry can be accessed by going to this page and searching for "earphone". It has also been quoted below:
earphone

Noun
ایئر فون؛ کان ٹوٹی؛ اُذنک؛ ایک آلہ جو کان کے ساتھ یا اندر برقی قوت کے ذریعے آواز سننے کے لیے لگایا جاتا ہے؛ ٹیلی فون یا وائرلیس کا آلہ جسے کان پر لگا کر سنتے ہیں۔
Questions:
  • Are there any words for headphones/earphones in the two languages other than the English terms?
    • What does دوگوشی mean?
      • Would it be relating to two ears, two-eared, or something else...?
    • Would اذنک be a possible/appropriate option?
      • It appears to have the same pattern (Arabic word + Farsi diminutive suffix ک) as عینک, which is used for glasses.

Last edited:
  • kalilah wa dimnah

Banned
    English - US
    The first link says:

دوگوشی از دو بلندگوی کوچک (در بعضی موارد یک بلندگو) که بر روی گوش کاربر قرار می‌گیرد تشکیل شده است

What does dar ba'zi-e mavaared mean?

By the way, the second link leads nowhere.

Alfaaz

English
    kalilah wa dimnah said:
    What does dar ba'zi-e mavaared mean?

By the way, the second link leads nowhere.
    In certain instances/cases. Persian speakers will hopefully confirm this and provide corrections!

Thanks! The post was edited to include another link and a quote of the actual entry.

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Thank you truce for your update but what do you think would be the reasoning behind opting for do-goshii? Do you suppose it means hearing from two ends or to have two ears? I would suppose the former which implies the latter's existence.

eskandar

English (US)
    I have never heard the word "دو گوشي" in Persian before. Perhaps this word has been recently created to be a Pesian equivalent for the word "هدفون".
    I agree, I've never heard دوگوشی and don't think it would be understood without context. هدفون is the only word for "headphones" I've heard in Persian.

truce

Persian
    Thank you truce for your update but what do you think would be the reasoning behind opting for do-goshii? Do you suppose it means hearing from two ends or to have two ears? I would suppose the former which implies the latter's existence.
    In Persian the word "گوشی" has the following meaings:
    moile phone - earpiece - telephone handset

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I've never heard دوگوشی and don't think it would be understood without context.
    According to the link Alfaaz posted, دو گوشي is suggested by فرهنگستان زبان و ادب فارسی, although a search on their site for دو گوشي or هدفون brought back nothing.

hbs1993

Banned
    Urdu - Pakistan
    I am a native Urdu speaker and have live in Karachi all my life, yet I have never heard of this so-called Urdu word uzunak (uzunuk?). Similarly, there may be words for television and radio in Urdu but they are never used, not even by Urdu authors or governmental bodies

Alfaaz

English
    Thanks for all of the valuable contributions!
    hbs1993 said:
    ... uzunak (uzunuk?) ...
    اُذن - uzn or uzun: گوش، کان, ear → اُذنک - uznak or uzunak

عین : چشم، آنکھ ← عینک یعنی چشمہ

hbs1993 said:
    I am a native Urdu speaker and have live in Karachi all my life, yet I have never heard of this so-called Urdu word uzunak (uzunuk?). Similarly, there may be words for television and radio in Urdu but they are never used, not even by Urdu authors or governmental bodies
    For the purpose of clarification: It should be mentioned that this thread did not intend to suggest that certain words should be coined and/or used and others shouldn't. Just like other threads in the forum discussing possible alternatives for television, radio, microwave, etc., this thread was also meant to be a fun/creative/academic exercise. In addition to this, the inclusion of اُذنک (which might be a recently coined word?!) in the qaumii urdu-angrezii lughat developed curiosity about the possible usages of this word...especially considering the common use of similarly formed 3ainak.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Isn't گوشی used for it? I think I remember someone saying 'gushi bede". (Persian).

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    In fact, guši - گوشى can refer to a mobile phone too, and this comes from the earpiece of the old early phones, as opposed to the mouthpiece part.

Sheikh_14

This may be a diversion, I think in Persain, as عینک - a littel eye, suggests a singular lense, it must have been a name given to a 'monocle' (similar to سمعک), and later misused for 'spectacles'.

Yes that is the case, that what was initially a term used for monocle later morphed into a standard term for spectacles. Though I wouldn't regard it as a misuse as such as monocles are to a large extent outdated and have been replaced by spectacles. Its merely a case of keeping with the times. There is in fact a thread which details this very matter and has been well explained by QP saaHib. I for one though am not sure how in modern day Urdu you would refer to a monocle, in that vein. Coming back to the original question truce and yourself have suggested that goshii is a term used for an ear piece. If we were to translate the reasoning behind that (from a literal sense) being the case would the gist merely be "of the ear?"

Whilst I guess you have the old Motorola and ericksen phones in mind when you say that the term has taken shape due to the prominence of the ear piece. Since back then some phones came with a flap on the mouth-piece. Nevertheless, origins and inspiration aside goshii (گوشی) is a term used for the entire mobile phone rather than a constituent part.

Last edited:

Sheikh_14

If do-goshii were to be used in Urdu would it be deemed a feminine or masculine noun?

Sheikh_14

Coming back to this topic I do quite like both uzunak and do-goshii. If one were to use them they would both be feminine nouns correct? In which case what would their plural forms be? UzunakeiN, Uzunakaat, do-goshiiyaaN, do-goshiiyaat. Given that 'ainak too is an Arabic word amalgamated with a Persian dimunitive suffix would the plural aat be correct in its case too I.e. 'ainakaat? Not that it's used much, but it does appear to be veracious.