Persian: You can beat 40 scholars with one fact, but you can't beat one idiot with 40 facts.

< Previous | Next >

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
سلام!

Does anyone know what the Persian original of this saying was?

"You can beat 40 scholars with one fact, but you can't beat one idiot with 40 facts." - attributed to Jalauddin Rumi

متشكرم!

• Torontal

Hungarian
    I have seen this in modern Turkish translation too attributed to Rumi (without citing the primer source), but I wonder if is there a Persian original at all.

I have seen quite similar saying(s) attributed to Imam Shafi'i or Ali ibn Abi Talib (r.a.) too, but haven't seen actual source reference for it...

An Arabic version is ما جادلت عالما إلا وغلبته وما جادلت جاهلا إلا وغلبني ~ which if I understand well, means something like: I haven't debated with a scholar except that i defeated him, and I haven't debated with an ignorant except that he beat me.

There are probably other variants too...

It would be interesting to dig up the very original source :)

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    An Arabic version is ما جادلت عالما إلا وغلبته وما جادلت جاهلا إلا وغلبني ~ which if I understand well, means something like: I haven't debated with a scholar except that i defeated him, and I haven't debated with an ignorant except that he beat me....
    Perhaps...more idiomatically..

I have n't debated with a scholar without defeating him and have n't debated with an ignornat person without being defeated.

truce

Persian
    This saying reminds me of two quotes:
    1- کسی که خوابه رو میشه بیدار کرد ولی کسی که خودشو زده به خواب رو نمیشه

2- هرگز با احمق ها بحث نکنید!
    آنها اول شمارا تا سطح خودشان
    پایین میکشند ،
    سپس با تجربه یک عمر زندگی
    در آن سطح ،
    شما را شکست می دهند!

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    truce: The second quote reminds of something attributed to Mark Twain: Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

< Previous | Next >