Persistent Pings?

< Previous | Next >

stillwater

korean
I came across the word following phrase in the Reader's Digest (March 2009) issue. Would someone help me understand what it means?

"Practice the three p's: polite, persistent pings. Stay in consistent contact with employers..."

My problem is the word ping. The dictionary says it means high pitched sound. But how does it fit in this context?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    There is another, more appropriate, dictionary definition:

ping

send a message from one computer to another to check whether it is reachable and active; "ping your machine in the office"

Your example is a figurative use of the verb. It simply means to communicate, persistently and politely, with [potential?] employers. A simpler, less modern expression with a similar meaning is "stay in touch with".

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I have never come across this figurative use before, but as a person who knows what "ping" means in the world of computers, I was able to understand it instantly. I really don't know if the average American (a rare species I have not frequently encountered in my 60+ years) would understand it, but most of those under the age of 30 with some computer literacy should get it.

< Previous | Next >