person feels discounting

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
[...] but most often the “helped” person feels some if not all of the following:
Defensive (discounting, judged, justifying, oppositional, unwilling to change)

(Motivational Interviewing; W. R. Miller)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it should be read as 'the person feels discounting', and if so, how exactly it should be interpreted?

Thanks.

• Bondstreet

English (UK)
    " Discounting" here means "being in a discounting frame of mind" - the person is resisting concentrating on the subject (making a change of habit or custom) because it is too uncomfortable.

www.thesaurus.com/browse/discount
    (click the "ignore, treat as insignificant" tab above the list)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Bondstreet may be right. I must admit my mind ran in other directions.

One feature of defensive thought in such circumstances can be that you discount the criticism, you set it at nought, you say to yourself "This is worthless criticism". That seems to accord well with 'oppositional, justifying, unwilling to change'.

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you Thomas Tompion!

But I'm still not sure as to how it is formed here.

Let's say it was 'ignore' (or any other verb) instead. Can one say 'I feel ignoring'?

Thanks.

Bondstreet

English (UK)
    >> #3: Would "(he) feels 'like discounting'" convey the same meaning? :tick:

>> #5: Let's say it was 'ignore' (or any other verb) instead. Can one say 'I feel ignoring'? :cross:
    "I feel like ignoring (it)" :tick:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    The parenthetical phrase defines the word "defensive", which is the feeling at issue. You can't say I "feel discounting", nor can you "feel justifying". However, discounting is an element to the feeling of defensiveness.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Defensive (discounting, judged, justifying, oppositional, unwilling to change)
    I see it as shorthand.

Defensive feelings (of discounting the criticism, of being judged, of justifying oneself, of opposing the critic, of being unwilling to change)

I don't think you should try to fit all the words into the same syntactical scheme, Suprun.

< Previous | Next >