"Person who nobody notices enter but everyone notices leave"

< Previous | Next >

Tisroc

English - U.S.
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a more concise way to describe this kind of person in English syntax/grammar/word choice/idioms (an adjective would be most appropriate, but I doubt one exists in English currently).

Here is the context (let us suppose it is a classroom and the people doing the noticing are students):

"Student A enters the classroom. None of the other classmates pay much mind to student A for whatever reason (shy, unassuming appearance, etc.). Student A, however, has a significant (hopefully positive) impact on the whole class/lecture (asks thoughtful questions, contributes to discussion, etc etc.). Now, when class is getting out, the other students are very interested in and/or impressed by Student A. Everyone notices Student A leaving the classroom."

In a shorter description (i.e. the title of the thread): Student A is "someone nobody notices enter but everyone notices leave."

There are idioms like "don't judge a book by its cover" or "big/great things come in small packages," but they only get at the part about appearance/easily observed features not actually correlating with the character/worth/knowledge of an individual. They do not drive at the second part, that the individual who is being judged (unfairly) is actually a "great thing in a small package" so to speak.

How would it be best to describe this kind of trait in a concise way, or is the thread title the best way?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    It's an interesting query, to be sure.

a diamond in the rough
    not what meets the eye

:(

"deceiving" could work as an adjective.

Biffo

English - England
    You can't judge a book by its cover.

Following on from perpend.