Personality is partly the result of .....

Dokhtaregol

Persian
There is a text , and then a question that must be answered based on it. I'm in doubt, please help.

In fact,each human being has a personality, which is partly the result of the physics of his body - how he is made and how the parts of his body work;partly of his psychology - how his mind works: and partly of his social abilities - how well he is able to get along with other people.

Personality is party the result of ------ .
1. the physics of the mind
2. the change of mood
3. the psychology of the society
4. the ability to get along with other individuals

I'm in doubt between 1 and 4. What would you answer to this?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The original text gives three components: a. the physics of his body (not his mind); b. how his mind works; c. how well he is able to get along with other people.

I don't know how true any of it is, but only option 4 corresponds to one of them: component c.

Dokhtaregol

Persian
    The original text gives three components: a. the physics of his body (not his mind); b. how his mind works; c. how well he is able to get along with other people.

I don't know how true any of it is, but only option 4 corresponds to one of them: component c.
    Your explanation is so clear and perfect. Thank you very much.

Myridon

English - US
    I'd say all the answers are wrong.
    The three components are:
    Personality is
    1) partly the result of the physics of his body
    2) partly (the result) of his psychology
    3) partly (the result) of his social abilities
    I'm not sure you can pull out a random part of the explanation of what "social abilities" means and apply "is the result of" to it.

Andygc

British English
    The question stem is
    Personality is party the result of ------ .
    Allowing for the typo, answer 4 is correct, because the meaning of "social abilities" is defined as "how well he is able to get along with other people", which seems a fair equivalent of "the ability to get along with other individuals".

blazquaz

English
    I would say 1. the physics of the mind, genetic features that affect one's personality
    It makes some sense unlike the other three

Andygc

British English
    I would say 1. the physics of the mind, genetic features that affect one's personality
    It makes some sense unlike the other three
    Welcome to the forum.
    Did you read the question in the first post?
    There is a text , and then a question that must be answered based on it.
    This is an exercise in understanding text. The only answer that contains a meaning from the original text is 4.

blazquaz

English
    Welcome to the forum.
    Did you read the question in the first post?
    This is an exercise in understanding text. The only answer that contains a meaning from the original text is 4.
    Hey Andygc, I read the question of course and answer 1 makes more sense to me: the physics of the mind (its physical properties, ) affect personality, for example, as I said in my previous post, genetic features inherited from parents : phobias, diseases, mental characteristics, positive or negative.

How you get along with others depends partly on one's personality, not vice versa.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    [...] each human being has a personality, which is partly the result of the physics of his body - how he is made and how the parts of his body work;partly of his psychology - how his mind works: and partly of his social abilities - how well he is able to get along with other people.

4. Personality is party the result of the ability to get along with other individuals

Answer #4 uses almost exactly the same words as those in the text. They are not asking us for our personal interpretation of the matter.

Andygc

British English
    the physics of the mind
    This phrase does not appear in the original text and so cannot be an answer to the question asked in the test. The question is not "what do you think personality is the result of?"; it is "which of these statements do you understand to reflect the statements made in the text?"

It is a standard type of question used to test a learner's comprehension.

< Previous | Next >