Personality/Personhood

< Previous | Next >

linachao5

Español, Colombia
Hi!

I would like to know if there is some difference between personality and personhood. The Dictionary gives me the same definition. So, is there any difference, whichever it is, for you?

Thank you.

• xodarap

English - Australia
    Hi!

I would like to know if there is some difference between personality and personhood. The Dictionary gives me the same definition. So, is there any difference, whichever it is, for you?

Thank you.
    Good question! Over the years I have asked myself this question and, in my opinion, the two words do often get used in the same way but personhood is a more abstract concept which describes the state and status of being a person with awareness of self and the potential of becoming consciously responsible for one's own actions.

Personality on the other hand refers to the actual manifestation of one's individuality as it has developed with the building of a particular array of characteristic emotional, mental, and physical responses to life situations. It is what others actually see of you and respond to.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I've never actually seen "personhood" used in real life. :(

I'd have instinctively assumed it was one of these ghastly PC gender-neutral alternatives to 'manhood' and 'womanhood'. :confused:

< Previous | Next >