Personality - plural/singular

< Previous | Next >

Vaultec

English - Canada
I'm stuck having to distinguish if Personality is described with is or are.

For example,

My personality along with the many achievements is living proof of what dedication, hard work and passion is.

or

My personality along with the many achievements is living proof of what dedication, hard work and passion are.

Very hard to tell the difference, but for me, it sounds better to use is than are. Still not sure :(

• se16teddy

English - England
    The subject of "is/are" is "dedication, hard work and passion".

If you feel that "dedication, hard work and passion" is a single quality, use the singular verb "is".

If you feel that dedication, hard work and passion are three separate qualities, use the singular verb "is".

(It is not clear to me what hypothesis is proved here.)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Personality, as always, is singular and thus "My personality [...] is living proof ..."

There are two clauses in the sentence:
    [My personality] (along with the many achievements) [is] living proof of what [dedication, hard work and passion] is.
    [......subject....]...............................................[verb].........................[.................subject..................] verb

However, "dedication, hard work, and passion" is the multiple subject of the verb "to be" (are) and multiple subjects usually take a plural noun.

If you were to change ""dedication, hard work, and passion" to a pronoun, the pronoun would be "they" which is plural: "dedication, hard work and passion are." -> "they are."

Vaultec

English - Canada
    Personality, as always, is singular and thus "My personality [...] is living proof ..."

There are two clauses in the sentence:
    [My personality] (along with the many achievements) [is] living proof of what [dedication, hard work and passion] is.
    [......subject....]...............................................[verb].........................[.................subject..................] verb

However, "dedication, hard work, and passion" is the multiple subject of the verb "to be" (are) and multiple subjects usually take a plural noun.

If you were to change ""dedication, hard work, and passion" to a pronoun, the pronoun would be "they" which is plural: "dedication, hard work and passion are." -> "they are."
    Since I'm using multiple of subjects, it's correct to use plural form of the verb is -> are.

So it should be:

My personality along with the many achievements is living proof of what dedication, hard work and passion are.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Since I'm using multiple of subjects, it's correct to use plural form of the verb is -> are.

So it should be:

Would you say "Dedication, hard work and passion is ..."?

< Previous | Next >