perspective

T.D

mandarin
Hi all,

I met the following sentence and the meaning of perspective confused me.

Throughout my travels, studies, and experience in the world, I have been able to attain what I hope to be a worldly and open-minded perspective.

I find it weird because it sounds like the writer is trying to become a perspective, which to the best of my knowledge, the word perspective means a viewpoint of something, and is by no means a kind of person or a career. But this sentence is written by a native speaker, so I am a little bit unsure.

Is it some kind of idiomatic use or do I punctuate it wrong? Any help is appreciated.

• owlman5

English-US
    But the writer used "attain what I hope to be a worldly and open-minded perspective." "Attain" means something like "reach" or "acquire" in that phrase. I don't see any suggestion that the writer is trying to say that he or she hopes to become a perspective.

T.D

mandarin
    But the writer used "attain what I hope to be a worldly and open-minded perspective." "Attain" means something like "reach" or "acquire" in that phrase. I don't see any suggestion that the writer is trying to say that he or she hopes to become a perspective.
    How I punctuate the latter part of the sentence is: I have been able to attain what I hope / to be a worldly and open-minded perspective.
    Similar to 'I have got the key I need to open the door.' or 'I have learned enough to be a successful researcher.'
    Is that wrong?

owlman5

English-US
    How I punctuate the latter part of the sentence is: I have been able to attain what I hope / to be a worldly and open-minded perspective.
    Are you telling me that you use this mark, /, to punctuate the sentence? That sounds like a very strange thing to do.

You probably weren't trying to tell me that, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Your practice of using a period at the end of sentences looks like a good one. Perhaps that is the punctuation that you referred to here:

Similar to 'I have got the key I need to open the door.' or 'I have learned enough to be a successful researcher.'
    Is that wrong?
    Are you referring to the period you used? Are you referring to the slash-sign that you used? Your use of "punctuate" confuses me in your reference to the last part of the sentence.

Loob

English UK
    Is that wrong?
    I think you're breaking the sentence wrongly, T.D.

It's not
    I have been able to attain what I hope ... to be a worldly and open-minded perspective.
    It's
    I have been able to attain ... [what I hope to be a worldly and open-minded perspective].

T.D

mandarin
    Are you telling me that you use this mark, /, to punctuate the sentence? That sounds like a very strange thing to do.
    Sorry for the confusion and I think I used the wrong word for 'breaking a sentence'. What is that called? segmentation? or just 'sentence breaking'?

T.D

mandarin
    It's
    I have been able to attain ... [what I hope to be a worldly and open-minded perspective].
    So the sentence is saying 'From my experiences I have attained something, which I hope is a worldly and open-minded perspective to view things'?
    (This is beginning to sound more like it actually. )

and it sounds a little bit humbled or modest, is it?

owlman5

English-US
    I probably would have understood a reference to "breaking the sentence". Probably. There is no need to apologize, T.D. It looks as though Loob understood what you were referring to.

Loob

English UK
    So the sentence is saying 'From my experiences I have attained something, which I hope is a worldly and open-minded perspective to view things'?
    (This is beginning to sound more like it actually. )

and it sounds a little bit humbled or modest, is it?
    Yes, and yes:):thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >