persuade someone (to not do//not to do) something

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, is it true that both "persuade someone not to do something" and "persuade someone to not do something" are possible constructions?

for example:
"I persuaded him to not go there."
"I persuaded him not to go there."

Thank you!

• Giordano Bruno

English, England
    Not "persuade out" the phrasal verb is "talk out" and would be used as "I talked him out of going there"
    Your two options are both acceptable. the second is more common though.

realmad35

Russian
    Not "persuade out" the phrasal verb is "talk out" .
    You're going to have to argue with Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary which gives the following example: Her legal advisers persuaded her into/out of mentioning (= to mention/not to mention) the names of the people involved in the robbery.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Agree with GB. If you use the second option, it is more insistent, or more emphatic, or more formal.

Can I ask you not to smoke here? = polite request
    Can I ask you to not smoke here? (= don't smoke here, you ignorant anti-social moron!).

As (genuine) persuasion is generally a civilised and polite form of interaction, the "to not do something" is less likely but, as GB said, still possible.

[Realmad, with "persuade" you have to express the object - persuade someone to do something, you can't say "persuade to do something", so "persuade to not" won't really produce reliable results, and throws up hits which are actually part of different grammatical constructions than the one being asked about here.]

Last edited:

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi realmad, maybe the server where you are throws up different results from the server where I am. Here are the first three hits I get:

In the tattoo shop Howard is already on the couch. Raj talks to him and tries to persuade him to not get the tattoo. (source: the-big-bang-theory.net)
    His mother Thetis, who is a Goddess, tries to persuade him to not fight Hector (source: megaessays.com)
    He was a stern disciplinarian, despite the best efforts of her mother [to] persuade him to not be so quick with corporal punishment .. (source: imdb.com)

+ 125,997 (or so).

realmad35

Russian
    the-big-bang-theory.net, megaessays.com, imdb.com are not the sources I was looking for, but I'm convinced, anyway. Thanks, Mind.

< Previous | Next >