Pet Rock

nanami

chinese
DEAR ALL,

HERE I GOT A POEM AS BELOW, I NEED O PUT THEM INTO CHINESE AND I FIND THAT I CAN UNDERSTAND "ROCK" HERE. IF IT IS KIND OF STONE OF SAND, HOW CAN A GIRL PUT IT IN HERS SOCK? HOW CAN SHE WALK A LONG DISTANCE WITH THE "ROCK" IN HER SOCK? OR WHEN "PET ROCK" USED TOGETHER HAS DIFFERENT MEANINGS? WHAT IS IT?

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR KIND REPLY. THANKS

B.RGDS

NANAMI

Pet Rock

I wish I were your pet rock

so I could be with you all the time

I would hide in your sock

and you would take me for long walks

You would introduce me to all your friends

Tell them on this rock your happiness depends

I think my plan has potential

Please, let me present my credentials

I am your Esquire, Pet Rock

• GenJen54

USA - English
    "Pet Rock" was a novelty item that became very popular in the US in the late 1970s. Basically, someone convinced people they needed to buy a "rock" that came in a small cardboard box (the "rock house"). It was a marketing hit.

It even came with its own manual on how to "care and feed" it.

Here is a picture of a pet rock.

nanami

chinese
    dear genjen54,

according to the pickture, it is impossible to put the pet rock into one's scock for a long walk.
    is there some special understanding on this poem?
    thanks

GenJen54

USA - English
    It could be that the poet/poetess is simply saying I want to be your "pet" - i.e. object of your affection. He/she is using "rock" because it is an object that is easily portable.

The pet rock of the poem does not necessarily have to be an actual "Pet Rock." It can be smaller, something that may quite easily fit into a sock.

Brioche

Australia English
    GenJen54 said:
    It could be that the poet/poetess is simply saying I want to be your "pet" - i.e. object of your affection. He/she is using "rock" because it is an object that is easily portable.

The pet rock of the poem does not necessarily have to be an actual "Pet Rock." It can be smaller, something that may quite easily fit into a sock.

Looks like you weren't around in 1975, GenJen54.

Pet Rocks were pebbles. They could easily fit in pocket or sock.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Brioche said:
    Looks like you weren't around in 1975, GenJen54.

Pet Rocks were pebbles. They could easily fit in pocket or sock.

I was definitely around in 1975, and had a Pet Rock (complete with box, straw and "owner manual.") Mine was about 3.5 cm. (x) 5 cm. Large enough to carry in a pocket, but not a sock. :eek:

Brioche

Australia English
    GenJen54 said:
    I was definitely around in 1975, and had a Pet Rock (complete with box, straw and "owner manual.") Mine was about 3.5 cm. (x) 5 cm. Large enough to carry in a pocket, but not a sock. :eek:

My feet are obviously much bigger than yours!!

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Brioche said:
    My feet are obviously much bigger than yours!!
    And so are mine! In fact they are more like yards.

But I agree with GenJen about the size of pet rocks. They varied, and most of them I saw were stones, walnut-sized things.

Petrock is a jargon term or "syllable acronym" (like hazmat, e.g.) for oil-bearing shale. Invest in futures, if you haven't already. There is more of it in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming than the rest of the world combined-- enough to meet America's fuel needs (at current rates) for the next 400 years.

It can be economically extracted at $70 per barrel with present tech, and new methods are in the "pipeline" even as we speak. I wonder what's creating the blockage? The hundreds of Federal permits you'd need to build a cracking facility, and the gauntlet of enviro-litigation jackals you'd have to run?

BTW, that Pet Rock poem is going to need a footnote for people who will confuse it with one of Petrarch's.