peu enclin à

< Previous | Next >

Lucythegat

French
Hello everybody,

Today I am struggling with conjugation!

Here is the sentence I must translate into english (it is a chlidren's story referring to 2 cats):

Elles passaient de longs moments à partager nourriture et couchage sans trop éveiller les soupçons du maître des lieux peu enclin à multiplier les présences félines à ses côtés.

And here is my attempt:

They spent many days sharing their food and sleep together trying to avoid the master of the house who was little inclined to be surrounded by too many cats.
(I am wondering if I must say: inclined to be or inclined to being surrounded)

Thanks for your comments, don't hesitate to add some about the entire sentence if you are not convinced!

• Elles passaient de longs moments à partager nourriture et couchage sans trop éveiller les soupçons du maître des lieux peu enclin à multiplier les présences félines à ses côtés.

They spent many days sharing their food and sleep together trying to avoid the SUSPICIONS OF the master of the house who was little inclined to be surrounded by too many cats.
    (I am wondering if I must say: inclined to be :tick:or inclined to being surrounded:cross:)

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I would say "who was little inclined to have additional cats around" as I feel she is already surrounded by cats.

Could you say: ... who was not too keen on being surrounded ... ?
    Yes, or "was reluctant to be surrounded / have more cats around" but "little inclined" seems to suggest a hint of annoyance!

franc 91

English - GB
    who didn't like having too many cats around the house (this is one of my rants - when you are writing or translating for children PLEASE KEEP IT SIMPLE - whether it's in French or in English)

Lucythegat

French
    Thanks for all your replies. I will choose : "trying to avoid the master of the house who didn’t like having too many cats around him (in order to avoid repeating "house" twice in the same sentence). A good tip to bear in mind that it is a story for children.
    Thanks very much everybody!

johnblacksox

English - US
    Another correction:

"They spent many days sharing their food and sleep together..." should be "They spent many days sharing their food and sleeping together..." and then I'd throw a comma after the word "together".

j-Adore

English (BrE)
    Hi. Does the phrase "enclin à infinitif" belong to somewhat formal register? Is it fit for use in casual conversation?

< Previous | Next >