Dictionary entry: pezón

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
Dictionary Editor
IdF
French (lower Normandy)
pezón nmAmL (saliente) (UK)tread n
(US)thread n
Esas ruedas están tan viejas que ya casi se perdió el pezón.
Those tires are so old they have almost lost tread.

Is "thread" that common; I can't find any references?
Also, in the Sentence, "tires" is used with the American spelling, but "tread", supposedly only used in British English, is used.

• fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    I'm pretty sure that pezón does not refer to the tread of a tire/tyre.
    - The RAE defines pezon as "2. m. En los carros y coches, extremo del eje que sobresale de la rueda. "
    - The sense of the WR entry is "saliente", which fits with "extremo que sobresale".
    - A google search for "llanta saliente" shows more rims/wheels than it does rubber tires/tyres.

I'm going to change the English translation accordingly.

I will also re-title the report so that the Spanish base team can change the sample sentence, which appears to refer to the tread, not to the rim/wheel.

On a different note, "thread" does exist as an automotive term, but it is not a synonym of "tread". It is an internal part of the construction of a tire/tyre; it is found below the tread. But it is not a US variant: tread is the correct term for the rubber exterior surface of the tire/tyre, in both dialects.

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    El pezón no es lo mismo que el “rim”. Esta palabra es bien antigua en el idioma y precede a la invención del automóvil. En inglés, es el “pivot” o “end” de un “axle”. También se encuentra “nipple” en algunos diccionarios técnicos.

n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    This entry had been edited before and now the senses are clearer. However, the rim translation for the parte del eje sense is still there, and I think the options proposed by @swift are better. I will transfer this thread to Spanish-English for review.

Edit: I noticed that this confusion may come from the Spanish sentence Los pezones de las ruedas del carruaje eran de hierro. I changed this sentence in the Spanish base to Los pezones de los ejes del carruaje eran de hierro.

Last edited: