PFA the updated ones

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
Hi all,

In my Work place, I have seen many business mails with the attachment, they written as 'PFA the updated ones' Is it a polite way to express professionally?

I think that , It would be better to say 'Please find the attachment along with this mail"

Does this 'PFA the updated ones' makes sense ?

Please share your ideas on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    I've never seen or heard of it before now and it took a moment to realize it means "Please find attached ..." I wouldn't use it myself, but then I try to communicate with words. Even if it's standard in your workplace, I doubt that you have to follow suit – use what pleases you, knowing you'll be understood.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It doesn't make enough sense to me. It's not a familiar abbreviation. I first guessed it meant "please file as", then checked and found it was "please find attached". But it is not in very common use - it should not be used between different businesses, as it might not be understood. 'Please find attached the updated ones' is polite and clear.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I've never seen this short form. The acronym lists that I just checked online have it, but they also have dozens of other obscure things that the letters "PFA" can stand for. It may be common within your environment, but in my experience it's rare in general. Who writes the e-mails that use it? Do they speak Indian English? Do they work for your company? I'd suggest spelling it out.

The other part of your question is about replacing "the updated ones" with another phrase such as "the attachment." I would be specific about the attachment, perhaps something like "the updated graphs," "the updated cost figures" or "the updated designs."

Putting it all together, you get something like "please find attached the updated cost figures," which you can rearrange to "please find the updated cost figures attached." "Along with this mail," or "along with this e-mail," is unnecessary; an attachment is always "along with" the e-mail with which it is sent.

You can also use the less formal "The updated cost figures are attached." That's probably what I'd write, but I tend to write in an informal style.

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
    Thank you Copyright and Thanks entangledbank for your valuable comments. I have used the second option 'Please find the attached' as you said, It is polite.

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
    Thank you Egmont for your suggestions. Yes, The one who uses this phrase speaks Indian language. Initially , I was also not able to undestood what it means . Then later I found that they meant this only. But As you said, I prefer the polite way...

< Previous | Next >