Pheromone traps help (us) not only (to) detect the insects, but also (to) reduce a number of males

Stanislav_Krasulin

Russian-Russia
Good day everyone,

My question is how to better form the sentence above.

Do i need to put us after help?

Do i need to put to after only and also?

My second question is related to the fact, that i have seen the following headline on the website of Washington University in St. Louis

Antibody helps detect protein implicated in Alzheimer’s, other diseases

Thanks in advance!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Pheromone traps help (us) not only (to) detect the insects, but also (to) reduce a number of males.

The full infinitive with "to" is optional after "help", so it's correct to say "pheremone traps help us detect.../pheremone traps help us to detec..." When we use "not only...but also" I think it's preferable to use the full infinitive, for the sake of clarity.

Pheremone traps help us not only to detect the insects, but also to reduce a number of males.

I also think "help us to detect..." is clear, and more accurate than "Pheremone traps not only help detect the insects..." Pheremone traps are used by us to help detect insects, so "they help us detect insects". It can perfectly well be omitted though.

A headline compresses information, so words can be omitted that should not be omitted in regular text.

Stanislav_Krasulin

Russian-Russia
    Pheromone traps help (us) not only (to) detect the insects, but also (to) reduce a number of males.

The full infinitive with "to" is optional after "help", so it's correct to say "pheremone traps help us detect.../pheremone traps help us to detec..." When we use "not only...but also" I think it's preferable to use the full infinitive, for the sake of clarity.

Pheremone traps help us not only to detect the insects, but also to reduce a number of males.

I also think "help us to detect..." is clear, and more accurate than "Pheremone traps not only help detect the insects..." Pheremone traps are used by us to help detect insects, so "they help us detect insects". It can perfectly well be omitted though.

A headline compresses information, so words can be omitted that should not be omitted in regular text.
    Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >