philander v flirt

< Previous | Next >

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
- Mary is philandering with Peter.
- I think "Mary is flirting with Peter" is better, right?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    - Mary is philandering with Peter.
    - I think "Mary is flirting with Peter" is better, right?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    I agree, "philandering" is seen as an "old" word nowadays and as such is best only used when one is writing about such action in days past.

The Slippery Slide

British English
    I think we're missing the point here, which is that philandering and flirting are different things.

Philandering means actually having sex with a succession of people other than your partner.

Flirting is just friendly conversation motivated by attraction.

So it depends on the meaning you want to convey.

However, we wouldn't say philandering with X, because philandering is a general activity, rather than a description of your actions with one person. And it is a little old-fashioned, so there might be better words in this situation anyway.

victoria1

Mauritius - English & French
    Usually we hear about X being a "philanderer". The noun is used more frequently than the verb, wouldn't you say so?

Hyperion

Finland, Swedish
    Can you also use philander when the subject is a man? Or is there a female analogous word?

I'm wondering this since andros means man (in Greek)

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Hyperion. Namlan's example - Mary is philandering with Peter - is unusual. When people use the word, they are usually talking about some male subject. I think the noun "philanderer" is more common than the verb "philander": George was a philanderer. Jack was caught philandering once again.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Oxford Dictionaries define "to philander" as: (of a man) readily or frequently enter into casual sexual relationships with women.
    So no, I don't really think you can apply it to females.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >