photograph angry

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi, friends.
This is a dialogue from a sitcom.

L: Can I see your realtor license?
J: It's in the car.
L: Don't worry. I know you photograph angry, I don't care. I just want to see the license.

What does the 'photograph angry' mean?

I looked it up, but could really find anything.

• Barque

Tamil
    It means "I know you usually look angry in all your photographs". The word "photograph" here is used to mean the way a person appears in a photograph.

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    The intransitive verb "to photograph," in that sense, is perhaps most often found in the phrase "photograph well" or "doesn't/don't photograph well," meaning respectively "look good in photographs" and "not look good/look bad in photographs."

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    The intransitive verb "to photograph," in that sense, is perhaps most often found in the phrase "photograph well" or "doesn't/don't photograph well," meaning respectively "look good in photographs" and "not look good/look bad in photographs."
    Thanks. I still have a question about the word 'photograph'.
    Say, one of your friends took a photo of you. But when you see the picture, you feel like you are not looking good in the picture.
    Can you say 'Oh, you photographed me so bad' ? Or what are the common ways native speaker used to express in this situation?

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    No, you would say "I sure photographed bad in that picture, didn't I?" In this use of "photograph," the subject is the person in the picture, not the photographer. And strictly speaking, it should be "I photographed badly/poorly"—photograph, being a verb here, is supposed to be modified by an adverb.

If you said to the photographer, "You photographed me so bad," you would be referring to aspects of the photo over which the photgrapher has control. You would use the phrase if the photo was over- or underexposed, if blurry or out of focus, if your head or part of it had been cut off, etc. And here, too, the verb should be modified by an adverb, so you would tell the photographer that he photographed you badly or poorly.

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    No, you would say "I sure photographed bad in that picture, didn't I?" In this use of "photograph," the subject is the person in the picture, not the photographer. And strictly speaking, it should be "I photographed badly/poorly"—photograph, being a verb here, is supposed to be modified by an adverb.

If you said to the photographer, "You photographed me so bad," you would be referring to aspects of the photo over which the photgrapher has control. You would use the phrase if the photo was over- or underexposed, if blurry or out of focus, if your head or part of it had been cut off, etc. And here, too, the verb should be modified by an adverb, so you would tell the photographer that he photographed you badly or poorly.
    Thanks a lot. But I am still a little confused.
    Say, you are a good-looking person. You are good at taking photos. So you always take good selfies.
    One day, a friend of yours, who is bad at taking photos of people. He took a photo of you.
    And because of his poor technique of taking photos of people, like, he doesn't know how to find a good angle, etc.
    So you did look not good in that photo.
    Now, which one would you say? 'I photographed badly' or 'You photographed me badly'?

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    If you are blaming the photographer, you would say "You photographed me badly." If you think you are ugly, or if you think you generally look ugly in photographs (regardless of how you look in person), then you would reassure the photographer that your looking ugly in the photo was not his fault by saying, "I photograph badly."

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    If you are blaming the photographer, you would say "You photographed me badly." If you think you are ugly, or if you think you generally look ugly in photographs (regardless of how you look in person), then you would reassure the photographer that your looking ugly in the photo was not his fault by saying, "I photograph badly."
    Thanks, I got it.

< Previous | Next >