photography was also subject to military censorship

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
I have problem understanding the reference of "also" in the provided context. Does it mean "in addition to other forms of art that were censored" or "in addition to other properties of photography"?

Context:
By the First World War, photography was ubiquitous but more open to challenge as a record of reality. It was not only dangerous but also difficult to set up weighty and complex equipment near any action. [...] In this period, photography was also subject to military censorship. Thus artists rather than photographers initially exposed the consequences of war. [...] (Art and War by Laura Brandon).
[Edited to reduce quoted text to the permitted maximum. DonnyB - moderator].

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Loob

English UK
    I read it like teddy: several obstacles have been listed, and now the author mentions an additional one - censorship.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    I read it like teddy: several obstacles have been listed, and now the author mentiones an additional one - censorship.
    I agree also.

The text doesn't say this but I think the implication made is that photography is censored (at least partly) because it can be. You couldn't do photography surreptitiously in that era because of the bulky equipment. But an artist could just go look and draw or paint later. Or hide his materials more easily if doing sketches at the front. And perhaps the authorities thought photography gave away too many details and were less concerned about paintings/drawings.

< Previous | Next >