photos of our deceased family members

< Previous | Next >


What do you call the photos we hang on walls of our deceased grandparents/parents/relatives?

In China, we often hang our deceased grandparents/parents portraits/drawings (yeah we used to hire a painter or artist to draw or paint the pictures while they were still alive) and hope their spirit can protect in the heaven or simply for remembrance.

memorial portraiture? It seems some are deathbed portraits from Google pictures?
remembrance photos/portraits? It seems most are photos for Remembrance Day in UK?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited:
  • velisarius

    Senior Member
    British English (Sussex)
    We don't call them anything special. Just "this is a photograph of my grandfather" or "this is a drawing of my deceased grandfather."
    It's the same for BE. "Family portraits" could be used.

    Very grand families may have "ancestral portraits" on the walls of their very grand houses.
    < Previous | Next >