[Phrasal Verb Replacement]: "LOOK AFTER"

HuskBlom

Banned
Spanish - Spain (EU)
Hi everyone.
I'd be grateful to anyone who could provide me a formal synonym for the phrasal verbal "look after" (Take care)
Let me provide the sentence:

"Host families are empowered to look after pupils [...]"
I attempted to use "nurture" instead, but it does not fit properly...

Thank you

• HuskBlom

Banned
    Spanish - Spain (EU)
    Hi
    I wrote it as a synonym for "Take care of".
    Well, it involves all the responsibilities of host families (Sharing living space, drive their pupils wherever necessary, ...)

Andygc

British English
    HuskBlom, when there's a perfectly good verb to use, why do you want something different?

Do you really mean "empowered to look after"? (But that is a different topic.)

HuskBlom

Banned
    Spanish - Spain (EU)
    Hi Andygc
    By "empowered", I wanted to specify that they are legally authorized to host.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Hi Andygc
    By "empowered", I wanted to clarify they are legally authorized to host.
    I'm more confused with every OP post attempting to "clarify."

What does "authorized:" mean? :confused::confused:

Custody??
    Licensed care??
    Authorized by parents?

"host" is not the same as providing care and there are n o leal overtones to "taking care."

But, of course, the OP has not deigned to provide any context, for which we continually plead.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    If this is legal you will need legal advice about precise meaning. We do have a phrase 'in loco parentis' which means that some person or body acts 'in place of parents', as regards 'looking after' under-age young people. Schools are 'in loco parentis' in some respects, especially boarding schools. How exactly this is interpreted short-term and what the responsibility of the hosts might be, surely has to be agreed by all parties, the organisers, host families and those normally responsible for the young people.
    Many years ago I hosted young foreign language students.
    I wasn't 'empowered' to do anything! I was obligated to provide certain services and to immediately inform the organisation if anything was amiss. I had the right to complain of course.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Not all phrasal verbs are informal, HuskBlom. Sometimes they're the best choice, even in quite formal English:).

< Previous | Next >