phrase-mongering

stillwater

korean
The dictionaries that I consulted define 'phrase-mongering' as 'phrasemaking.' I am wondering if there is a deeper semantic range to this word... perhaps meaning exaggering?

• stillwater

korean
    The author was talking about Indian English writers making frequent use of of 'phrase-mongering'. The example he uses is 'Himalayan blunder.'

And he also gives the following sentence as an example sentence replete with phrase-mongering:

"The regional writer need not debunk his Indian English brother as a roootless wretch, a bastard booby, fattened British butter or a bat on the banyan bough."

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Monger' and 'mongering' aren't words on their own, but occur in compounds like 'coster-monger', 'warmonger'. They imply a merchant, a seller, typically a small seller in a market or on a street. So 'phrase-monger' to me suggests someone is trying to impress you with lots of cheap, flashy phrases. The sentence you quote is a good example.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    While etb is correct in suggesting that monger is most often used in compound forms, AE does use it alone to mean peddler or huckster, usually in a disparaging sense. A phrase-monger is one who puts forth phrases—of uncertain quality at best—to excess.

Here is a recent example of monger in standalone use:

This assumption is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. It is telling that MSDN has strayed from being where developers get up to speed on existing Microsoft technologies to being a primarily a monger of vaporware.

< Previous | Next >