Phrases said when leaving work

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
In Brazil it's common to tell your co-workers who will continue their shifts when you leave: bom serviço or bom trabalho - something to the effect of enjoy the rest of your shift/work. This co-worker will usually respond with bom descanso - I hope you rest well.

I've read in Japan it's common to say: お先に失礼します (osaki ni shitsurei shimasu). It literally means, excuse me for leaving first. And the response is お疲れ様でした (otsukaresama deshita) –something to the effect of thank you for your hard work.
Japanese speakers please confirm.

I can't think of anything commonly said in English (at least in the US).

What about in your language?

Source: 10 Useful Ways to Say Goodbye in Japanese

Yendred

Français - France
In France, we are used to say "Bon courage !" to your coworkers who continue their shifts, and they will generally answer "Bonne soirée, à demain !"
I remember a Québec native who told me this was not so common in Québec and appeared to them a bit exaggerated to wish courage to your colleagues.

Perseas

Greek
I don't think we say something special in Greek when leaving work. We usually tell our colleagues wishes, that could alsο be used in more general situations like "good afternoon" ("καλό απόγευμα") or a wish about "a good continuing" ("καλή συνέχεια"). "Καλό κουράγιο" ("bon courage") might also be told, but I guess it would depend on the nature of the work (eg. a hard work)- that's not a usual wish.

merquiades

English (US Northeast)
In France, we are used to say "Bon courage !" to your coworkers who continue their shifts, and they will generally answer "Bonne soirée, à demain !"
I remember a Québec native who told me this was not so common in Québec and appeared to them a bit exaggerated to wish courage to your colleagues.
People are always wishing me a "Bonne continuation!":D:D

There is no way to say any of these expressions in English. We don't usually wish people anything ever.
Maybe really stretching it, we could say "Have a good night" or "Have a nice day" depending. Or "Good luck" if we think the time spent at work will be particularly tough. Mostly people would say "See ya" and leave.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
Similar to Portuguese, in Italian you can wish someone "buon lavoro!": this is a source of confusion because it's often mistranslated literally as "good work!", which however is not used in English as a wish, but only as a compliment.

Edited after reading the previous post. We also say "Buona continuazione!" in Italian, but it's not just restricted to people leaving work. It mainly refers to wishing someone a good rest of the day/afternoon/evening...

Last edited:

Yendred

Français - France
People are always wishing me a "Bonne continuation!":D:D
Every day ?? That sounds strange to me. "Bonne continuation !" is what we usually wish to someone who definitely leaves a place, because they resign to get another job, or they retire, ...
Maybe they don't want to see you the next day :D
Seriously, it can be a regional specificity, but I've never heard it as an everyday phrase in the Paris region.

merquiades

English (US Northeast)
No. this is not every day! Normally when they leave to go home we don't say anything special but once in a while they say this. But people don't seem to say it here just in the context you say. For example when you leave a restaurant or a doctor's office people also say it, but never habitually. It a!ways strikes me because it would sound weird in English and there is no way to trans!ate it.

Yendred

Français - France
It a!ways strikes me because it would sound weird in English and there is no way to trans!ate it.
Maybe it's equivalent to something like "Enjoy the rest (of your meal, of your job, of your life, ...)".
Sometimes too, waiters in restaurants say "Bon appétit !" when they bring the first course, and "Bonne continuation !" for the next courses, implying "Bonne continuation (de votre repas)".

Last edited:

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
There is no way to say any of these expressions in English. We don't usually wish people anything ever.
Maybe really stretching it, we could say "Have a good night" or "Have a nice day" depending. Or "Good luck" if we think the time spent at work will be particularly tough. Mostly people would say "See ya" and leave.
Pretty much this. At work I just say See you guys later or Take care and usually on Fridays Have a good weekend!

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
We might use Courage! in some ironical sense here in Flandres, implying that we hope they will cope with the (hard) work...