physical health/well-being/fitness/condition

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following example I created, imagining it appears in a questionnaire.

The following questions are about how your household members, including yourself, maintain their physical _______ .

Q12. How often do they do physical exercise? Please choose one answer for each member.

Now, would any of the following be wrong, unidiomatic, or odd if used in the underlined part?

1. health
2. well-being
3. fitness
4. condition

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It's difficult to be sure without knowing what all of the questions ask. Going to the doctor (health) isn't the same thing as going to the gym (fitness).

lingobingo

English - England
    And maintaining your physical fitness (or whatever) is only an option if you have it in the first place!

Not to mention the problem of how this questionnaire intends to ask about individuals, since you can hardly expect a single answer to apply to all members of a household.

lingobingo

English - England
    Okay. I didn’t notice that. But it’s still difficult to imagine how such a questionnaire would be laid out, to account for the totally unknown, and variable, parameter of number of household members.

meijin

Japanese
    But it’s still difficult to imagine how such a questionnaire would be laid out, to account for the totally unknown, and variable, parameter of number of household members.
    Agreed. That was just an example to find out which of the expressions is most appropriate.

It's difficult to be sure without knowing what all of the questions ask. Going to the doctor (health) isn't the same thing as going to the gym (fitness).
    Let's say the section of the questionnaire asked the following.

Q12. How often do they do physical exercise?
    Q13. What kind of food do they eat?
    Q14. Do they take dietary supplements?
    Q15. Do they smoke?
    Q16. On average, how many hours do they sleep each day?

I suppose "physical fitness" isn't appropriate. I don't know the difference between "health" and "well-being", but these are probably appropriate. Not sure about "condition".

And maintaining your physical fitness (or whatever) is only an option if you have it in the first place!
    You're right. How about "manage" or "take care of"?

The following questions are about how your household members, including yourself, manage/take care of their physical _______ .

(I'm starting to realize that the example questions above aren't particularly about "physical", but well, let me hear your opinions...)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I suppose "physical fitness" isn't appropriate. I don't know the difference between "health" and "well-being", but these are probably appropriate. Not sure about "condition".
    You're right. How about "manage" or "take care of"?
    You might try a different way of phrasing it altogether. I would suggest: "The following questions are about lifestyle factors that affect the health and fitness and members of your household, including yourself."

< Previous | Next >