Più ridi, più vivi

Alessia1804

Italiano
Sono una studentessa italiana che sta studiando l' inglese e sono alle prese con comparativi e superlativi: come si può tradurre l'espressione "più ridi, più vivi"? Azzarderei un "the most you laugh, the longest you live". È corretto? Potete aiutarmi? Grazie.

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    But does the Italian "più vivi" refer to living better or living longer? "The more you live" and "live more" refer (at least to my ear) to having a more "alive" kind of life, not a longer life. If it's meant to be the latter, then the more you laugh, the longer you live, or laugh more, live longer.

So are we going for "The more you laugh, the more you live" or "The longer you laugh, the longer you live"?
    We cannot go for both or a mixture of the two, can we? The mixture would sound horrible.
    If there's a choice, I'd go for "The longer you laugh, the longer you live". That seems to me a good philosophy.(I'll keep laughing - or smiling - at least). Though, to be honest, "The more you laugh, the longer you live" sounds also correct.
    In fact, my preference is "The more you laugh, the longer you live".
    There! I've gone for the mixture! Va bene per me. (In English, that is).

Last edited:

MoltoMahler

Italian
    Without any further details about the context, each one of the alternatives mentioned so far is plausible:
    - The more you laugh, the more you live;
    - The more you laugh, the longer you live;
    - The longer you laugh, the longer you live

One thing remains though. Personally, I think "Più ridi, più vivi" is anything but a common sentence in Italian, something only a child that is not yet well versed in the use of the language would say. In fact, if I were to translate either one of the three sentences above into Italian, I would have dozens of possible, more plausible, and more elegant choices before getting to "Più ridi, più vivi".

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I don't see "laugh more, live more" or "laugh more, live longer" as imperatives either. To my mind, the bracketed words are implied: "[if you] laugh more, [you will] live more / longer."
    I see your point and I think the English version, "laugh more, live more" could be either, grammatically speaking; the use of ellipsis points or exclamation marks would have removed any ambiguity :)

< Previous | Next >