piano più profondo del tronco

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
Hi,
Il metodo Pilates comprende un vasto programma di esercizi che aiutano a rinforzare i muscoli di tutto il corpo, a partire da quelli del piano più profondo del tronco, che forniscono stabilità e supporto alla colonna vertebrale e a tutte le articolazioni.

I’m thinking that this is a roundabout way of saying ‘lowest trunk muscles‘, but I have seen that there are ‘anatomical planes’ so I’m not 100% sure it doesn’t refer to that, though I don’t see how there could be one more profondo than another. Will it be referring to the core? I gather that’s very important in Pilates, but I gather that should include all the muscles of the torso, not only quelli del piano più profondo del tronco.

Am I right?

Thanks,
Mark

• Mary49

Italian
    Hi Mark,
    I think they are what in Italian are called "muscoli profondi", that is "deep muscles". "Deepest muscular layer of the trunk" is how I would translate it.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    ‘lowest trunk muscles‘
    ...I'm a little unsure what you mean by 'lowest' here. If you mean 'the part of the trunk that's closest to the toes', I'm afraid that's not quite right.
    though I don’t see how there could be one more profondo than another.
    We actually have muscles that are superficial (right under the skin) and some that are deeper (see Mary's post above). You can refer to these deeper muscles as the deep trunk muscles. Fitness and health texts also like to use terms like inner core (muscles) about these muscle groups (see JG's post above).

Bic.