piano, the piano

< Previous | Next >

Ray Ray

Persian
Hi,

Which one is correct?
I like listening to piano or I like listening to the piano?

Thank you in advance.

• MasonX

English - US, Swedish - SE
    As Parla has already mentioned, "the piano" is the correct form of usage.

If you would say "I like listening to Piano" you would be saying that you like listening to a person called Piano.
    And the form "The Piano" is right in this case, because you are referring to the piano as an object, and this case expressing your action of listening To the piano.

Let's not get puritanical here. True, the more standard sentence is "I like listening to piano music." However, leaving out 'music', in an informal context--compressing one's sentence-- scarcely creates an error. (With due respect, I think Parla's :cross: is too strong, as is Mason's apparent view.) There are lots of examples:

Which musical instrument do you like listening to most ? why ...
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid...
    Nov 29, 2009 - So yeah, classically I like listening to piano and violin because they help me concentrate and block off other noises that irritate me,
    2013 June - Nutrition and Health Care
    nutritionandhealthcare.info/2013/06/
    Jun 21, 2013 - When it comes to music instrument, i like listening to piano but lately my interest is shifting to violin.
    Five Awesomely Awkward J Mascis Interviews | Village Voice
    blogs.villagevoice.com/music/.../five_awkward_jmascis_interviews.php

Mar 28, 2011 - I mean I like listening to guitar, but to me it's never loud enough because it's so weird and undynamic an instrument."

< Previous | Next >