Pick up the slack

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I am not sure whether I can use "pick up the slack" in the following context.

My academic advisor (A) is too busy to review my research proposal, so I asked another expert (B) in the field to help me out, and he gladly provided me with many insightful comments. Could I tell my friend Martin" B is so good! He is picking up A's slack."?

If this is not an appropriate usage of the phrase, what substitute would you recommend? Many thanks!

• teksch

English - American
    I am not sure whether I can use "pick up the slack" in the following context.

My academic advisor (A) (was) is (to) too busy to review my research proposal, so I asked another expert (B) in the field to help me out, and he gladly provided me with many insightful comments. Could I tell my friend Martin" B is so good! He is picking up A's slack."?

If this is not an appropriate usage of the phrase, what substitute would you recommend? Many thanks!
    You could say " He is picking up the slack for A". I probably would say "He is helping me since A is so busy."

ChelleShocked

English - United States
    Yes, it's fine if you say "B is picking up A's slack". I usually see "pick up the slack" referring to someone being lazy or not doing what they're supposed to, rather than doing too much. In this case I think it's fine since you included the context.

< Previous | Next >