pickle up one's ass

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

I'm reading 'Drop Dead healthy' written by A.J. Jacobs.

[I feel like I should try to entertain him. So I tell him stories about the interview with George H. W. Bush,
during which the former president said, that a certain politician's wife had a "picke up her ass.""

This is literal meaning? She put a pickle in her ass.
Or this is any idiomatic expression?

• ddubug

Korean
    Thanks. I've checed the previous one. 'has a stick up ass' means 'grumpy'.

So, 'certain politician's wife was grumpy'? It doesn't sound a joke. The author and the president are trying to say a joke....

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Thanks. I've checked the previous one. 'has a stick up ass' means 'grumpy'.
    No, it doesn't mean grumpy - I'm not sure where you got that. The other thread says it means: prim, proper, uptight.

Saying that a person is uptight means he/she is very serious and no fun.

pwmeek

English - American
    Using the pickle expands the expression from merely prim, to having a sour disposition as well. A woman who not only dislikes informality, but also lets people know how much she dislikes it.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Using the pickle expands the expression from merely prim, to having a sour disposition as well. A woman who not only dislikes informality, but also lets people know how much she dislikes it.
    We would call someone like that a "sour bake" (bake meaning face in Northern Irish slang). It sounds a bit unfortunate to have a sour ass as well :D

mplsray

No, it doesn't mean grumpy - I'm not sure where you got that. The other thread says it means: prim, proper, uptight.

Saying that a person is uptight means he/she is very serious and no fun.
    It seems to me that the use of the word "pickle" rather than "stick" increases the "anal retentiveness" reference of the expression, because of the puckering effect of the vinegar in the pickle. I think Freud's theory of anal retentiveness was utter nonsense, but it has become a part of popular culture--consider the term "anal" as a popular term for a certain personality--and the variation of the expression in question is likely to be a reflection of this.

< Previous | Next >