Picnic / barbecue

Thime

Italian
大家好!
I'm trying to translate this sentece into Chinese: "[...] some families have a barbecue in their garden or a picnic in a meadow."

I am not sure about the accuracy of the translation of barbecue and picnic, because on the dictionary 烤肉野餐 seems to be a synonym of 野餐.
Here's my attempt:
[...] 有的家庭在私家花园里举行烤肉野餐, 或者在草地上举行野餐.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Last edited:
  • SuperXW

Since barbecue is a foreign tradition, quite a lot people who enjoy it just refer it by the English name "barbecue" or simply "BBQ", in Chinese usually 烧烤. Nobody would use the dictionary explanation 烤肉野餐.
    For your sentence: 有的家庭在私家花园里烧烤/烤肉,would be good enough.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    有的家庭在...或者在...
    It does not sound natural to me, although you may encounter that sentence structure in some translated works. To me, 有的 calls for another 有的 (e.g., 有的在院子里烤肉, 有的在草地上野餐), and so does 或(者) (e.g., 或者在自家院子里烤肉, 或者在公園草坪上野餐; 或院內烤肉, 或戶外野餐). Here is an example of how I would put the notions of "some families" and "or" together:
    在澳洲有些家庭是中午慶祝聖誕、吃團圓飯的。 他們在院子里烤肉, 在草甸上野餐, 談天說地, 其樂融融.

Last edited:

retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    野餐,顾名思义,野外就餐,在野外吃饭。说野餐时,我觉得,一般是吃熟食,已经做好的食物。WHen refering to 野餐, I think it implies the food people eat has been cooked before.

Barbecue 是指烤肉。自带工具亲自动手烧烤。没有固定地点。When refering to barbecue, I think it implies that people eat meat that you roast in person in somewhere with tools you carry

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    "Picnic" 野餐 means "a meal eaten outdoors". It may or may not involve a cookout 野炊. Many parks in my neck of the woods are equipped with barbeque pits and electric griddles, which are placed right by the picnic shelters. So "picnic" to me evokes an image of cooking in the park :D.

Last edited:

Thime

Italian
    谢谢你们的回答! :)
    I suppose I can also say "有的家庭不是在院子里烧烤,就是在草地上野餐"
    烧烤 and 野餐 are both nouns and verbs, so there is no need to add 举行 before them, I think.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    In Taiwan Mandarin, 烧烤 is a term for 烹調方式, not for fun activities like 烤肉, 野餐, 遠足, 看電影. "Have a barbecue" is listed together with "have a picnic" in your sentence, suggesting that it means "to have a party (fun activity) where a meal is cooked out of doors over an open fire". 烧烤 can be intransitive only if the subject is the one being barbecued (e.g., 魚在火中烧烤). Otherwise, it demands an object (e.g., 我在後院烧烤羊肉). I therefore find 有的家庭在院子里烧烤 rather odd, as if 這些家庭在院內百受煎熬, 過著水深火熱的生活. If the phrase 烧烤 must be used, then I like brofeelgood's suggestion (BBQ = 烧烤, see #2), that is, 在院子里办烧烤会.

Also, 有的家庭 means "some of the families", not "some families". 有的 = some of them (e.g., 園裡的花,有的紅、有的白). It usually comes in pairs like "有的...有的..." or "有的...其餘..." If it does not come in pairs, it may be interpreted as "all" (所有的, e.g., 普天下有的婆娘) instead of "some".

Last edited:

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    When referring to an event, I would use 烧烤会.

- 公司一年一度的烧烤会,将在这个周末举行. - The annual company BBQ (n) will be held this weekend.
    - 他们在家里搞了个烧烤会 - They organised a BBQ at home.

retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    公司一年一度的烧烤会 is fine.
    It comes to my head that 烧烤会 is a 会(聚会,party) whereas 烧烤 is barbecue/roast as a verb and meat/roast as a noun.
    我们去吃烧烤吧。

You are excellent Thime. I cannot say 举行野餐 and 举行烧烤 are wrong, but they are really a bit wierd to my ears. 举行烧烤晚会 is fine.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    I dare say 举行烧烤 is wrong, just as *家里举行羊肉 or *學校举行閱讀 is wrong. If 烧烤 in 举行烧烤 is a noun meaning some kind of processed meat, then it parallels 羊肉 in *举行羊肉. If it is a verb or a gerund indicating an action, then it parallels 閱讀 in *举行閱讀. 举行烧烤晚会, on the other hand, is correct, and so is 举行閱讀比賽.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >