Picturesque beer trips

< Previous | Next >

willkanoff

Russian
Hi all!

I'm trying to find a best descriptive name for our tours around Benelux involving sightseeing and beer tasting. How the phrase "Picturesque Belgian Beer Trips" would sound to a native ear?...

• cando

English - British
    How would the phrase "Picturesque Belgian Beer Trips" sound to a native ear? (note the change of word order of the auxiliary verb to make it a question)

This could sound like you are taking people on a tour of picturesque Belgian beers! It would be better to write “Beer Tours of Picturesque Belgium

If you use the word “trips”, it would need to be “Beer Trips Round Picturesque Belgium” which is longer and slightly odd to my ears, which is why I suggest using the word “tours”

willkanoff

Russian
    How would the phrase "Picturesque Belgian Beer Trips" sound to a native ear? (note the change of word order of the auxiliary verb to make it a question)

This could sound like you are taking people on a tour of picturesque Belgian beers! It would be better to write “Beer Tours of Picturesque Belgium

If you use the word “trips”, it would need to be “Beer Trips Round Picturesque Belgium” which is longer and slightly odd to my ears, which is why I suggest using the word “tours”
    Thank a lot for the tips! What if the whole thing took just one day, including visits to several locations? I take it it could be called "tour" too, since we making multiple stops. Is that right?
    I'm only asking this because we have one-day events and 6-7 day tours. If we call them all "tour" I will need to figure out a way to make a clear distinction between them...

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    I would say tour is the usual jargon for this sort of tourist activity.

Your original idea does not ring true because of the word order, you have picturesque modifying the beer. We'd ususally say picturesque for the countryside or architecture etc. Also, to be honest, who chooses a BEER trip because of the scenery? I dont imagine the breweries or beer are particularly "picturesque" in themselves. The ideas don't blend all that well.

willkanoff

Russian
    I would say tour is the usual jargon for this sort of tourist activity.

Your original idea does not ring true because of the word order, you have picturesque modifying the beer. We'd ususally say picturesque for the countryside or architecture etc. Also, to be honest, who chooses a BEER trip because of the scenery? I dont imagine the breweries or beer are particularly "picturesque" in themselves. The ideas don't blend all that well.
    Thanks. <-----Off-topic comments removed by moderator (Florentia52)-----> Some of the breweries in Belgium have been around for centuries and could indeed be considered as picturesque... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott AM

English - Canada
    I have gone on tours to look at scenery; and I have also gone on tours to taste beer (sometimes in very scenic settings). Keep in mind that sightseers who don't enjoy beer will generally not enjoy a brewery tour, no matter how scenic the breweries or the sights are. On the other hand, nice scenery and historic breweries will make beer fans even more enthused. I think you should focus first of all on the fact that this is a brewery tour. Perhaps "Belgian Brewery Tours, with Sightseeing". The text of the advertisement can then point out how picturesque the scenery is, and what kind of sights people will see along the way.

As for the length of the tours, I don't think the different lengths need different words. A tour can be a day, or it can be multiple days. "One-day and 7-day tours" might be all you need. I also like your wording - "one-day events and 6-7 day tours".

kentix

English - U.S.
    Building on Cando's suggestion:

Beer-tasting Tours of Picturesque Belgium

Beer-tasting tour makes more sense to me than beer tour.

< Previous | Next >