Pidió al presidente que reconsidere /reconsidara

Malbecblend

English
My question is whether the present subjunctive or the imperfect subjunctive in the dependent clause is correct. Or are they both correct?

Here is the context which comes from an article about Trump's threat to impose a 5% tariff on all goods from Mexico:

La medida no fue bien recibida en la bolsa de valores y la Cámara de Comercio pidió al presidente que reconsidere su posición, ya que los aranceles terminarán afectando a empresas y ciudadanos estadounidenses.

I was taught that the imperfect subjunctive is used in dependent noun clauses instead of the present subjunctive when the verb in the main clause is in the imperfect, preterit, past perfect, or conditional. Applying that rule, since the verb in the main clause is in the preterit (pidió), I would be inclined to put the verb in the dependent clause (reconsidere) in the imperfect subjunctive (reconsidara). Are both reconsidere and reconsidara correct?

• Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    reconsidara:cross:
    reconsiderara:tick:

This is what I'd have used:

La medida no ha sido bien recibida en la bolsa de valores y la Cámara de Comercio ha pedido al presidente que reconsidere su posición...
    or
    La medida no fue bien recibida en la bolsa de valores y la Cámara de Comercio pidió al presidente que reconsiderara su posición...

just as you say, but bear in mind that "ha sido" is not used in most of America.

Malbecblend

English
    reconsidara:cross:
    reconsiderara:tick:

This is what I'd have used:

La medida no ha sido bien recibida en la bolsa de valores y la Cámara de Comercio ha pedido al presidente que reconsidere su posición...
    or
    La medida no fue bien recibida en la bolsa de valores y la Cámara de Comercio pidió al presidente que reconsiderara su posición...

just as you say, but bear in mind that "ha sido" is not used in most of America.
    Whoops. I guess it would have helped if I had used the correct conjugation for the imperfect subjunctive when posting my question: reconsiderara.

Do you think the sentence I’m asking about is also correct? I.e., ...pidió al presidente que reconsidere. If so, it’s not consistent with what I learned, as I explained above.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Do you think the sentence I’m asking about is also correct? I.e., ...pidió al presidente que reconsidere. If so, it’s not consistent with what I learned, as I explained above.
    Yes, it's correct.

The options that Agró showed you follow the "traditional" rules (based on what was used in Latin) which many grammars still adhere to. Many people still follow these rules (which is great; good for them:) ) but then again, many people don't. The RAE already made it clear quite some years ago (I'm talking of the late seventies of last century) that your option is also valid Spanish.

Malbecblend

English
    Yes, it's correct.

The options that Agró showed you follow the "traditional" rules (based on what was used in Latin) which many grammars still adhere to. Many people still follow these rules (which is great; good for them:) ) but then again, many people don't. The RAE already made it clear quite some years ago (I'm talking of the late seventies of last century) that your option is also valid Spanish.
    That really helps to give me some perspective. Thank you. In fact, I copied what you said in the margin of my grammar textbook right next to their explanation of the sequence of tenses.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Yes, it's correct.

Oh, really? It’s good to know. I always think people are wrong when they pair the present subjunctive with a past tense in the main clause.

Malbecblend

English
    Oh, really? It’s good to know. I always think people are wrong when they pair the present subjunctive with a past tense in the main clause.
    Amapolas, since you are from Argentina I’m especially interested in your perspective. I’m trying to focus on learning Argentine Spanish. In fact, in a few weeks I’m going to register for Spanish classes at the University of Buenos Aires (UBA).

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Amapolas, since you are from Argentina I’m especially interested in your perspective. I’m trying to focus on learning Argentine Spanish. In fact, in a few weeks I’m going to register for Spanish classes at the University of Buenos Aires (UBA).
    Then, don’t take into account much of what I say. As you see, I ve always thought everyone around me used the subjunctive wrong, and the truth is the RAE accepts it. o_O
    Good luck with your studies!

Magazine

Español-España.
    Amapolas, since you are from Argentina I’m especially interested in your perspective.
    Then, don’t take into account much of what I say. As you see, I ve always thought everyone around me used the subjunctive wrong, and the truth is the RAE accepts it. o_O
    Good luck with your studies!
    :D :D Amapolita always so humble. Do listen to her, Malbec, her insight is normally not only very much appreciated but also very much to the point.

In any case, I always say: Do as the Romans do....it is no good to know that in other countries you use this or that grammar point and expression if the country you are going to live in this is considered odd or even wrong.

Good luck :)

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    :D
    In any case, see here what the RAE says about it:
    Esbozo: 3.19.6.2: Verbo subordinado en subjuntivo a) Con verbos de voluntad (mandato, ruego, deseo, etc.) el verbo subordinado puede hallarse en cualquier tiempo posterior al del verbo principal.
    Mandaron que estudie, que estudiara o estudiase.

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    Las dos son válidas, gramaticalmente, pero son diferentes.
    "pidió al presidente que reconsiderase su posición" -> le pidió (en el pasado) que reconsiderase (en aquel pasado) su posición.
    "pidió al presidente que reconsidere su posición" -> le pidió (en el pasado) que reconsidere (todavía hoy, en presente) su posición.
    Si hablamos de lo que pidió Napoleón al Papa de Roma del momento lógicamente sólo tendría sentido la primera. Si es algo que se le dijo ayer a Trump valdrían las dos, pero si es una petición que sigue en pie mientras aún lo valora la que tendría más sentido sería la segunda.

< Previous | Next >