pieśni kościelne vs. piosenki kościelne

Sara Lee

Chinese

pieśni kościelne vs. piosenki kościelne

Are they both grammatically correct?

Q1. pieśni kościelne
What does this Polish expression mean? Does it mean church song?
If not correct, feel free to explain it.

Q2. piosenki kościelne
What does it mean? Does it also mean church songs ?
If not correct, feel free to explain it.

• Ben Jamin

Polish
    Q1. pieśni kościelne
    It means a church song, but the use is restricted to a collection of traditional songs being used under the mass, and authorized by the highest church authorities. In this context it could be also translated as church hymns.

Q2. piosenki kościelne
    It means also a church song, but piosenka is something popular, lighter and less elevated than pieśń. In my youth there was nothing like piosenki kościelne in Poland. I think that the expression means songs with religious theme, but using a simple everyday language, and modern melodies (pop, rock). They may be sung under the service meant specially for young people, or at religious congresses outside the church.

Europadia

Polish
    I don't think there's something like "piosenki kościelne". Where have you seen it? And in what context?
    For religious/church songs, only pieśni religijne/kościelne sounds normal; piosenki is weird in such combinations.

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Q1. pieśni kościelne
    It means a church song, but the use is restricted to a collection of traditional songs being used under the mass, and authorized by the highest church authorities. In this context it could be also translated as church hymns.

Q2. piosenki kościelne
    It means also a church song, but piosenka is something popular, lighter and less elevated than pieśń. In my youth there was nothing like piosenki kościelne in Poland. I think that the expression means songs with religious theme, but using a simple everyday language, and modern melodies (pop, rock). They may be sung under the service meant specially for young people, or at religious congresses outside the church.
    I don't think there's something like "piosenki kościelne". Where have you seen it? And in what context?
    For religious/church songs, only pieśni religijne/kościelne sounds normal; piosenki is weird in such combinations.

Got it!
    Many thanks for your replies!
    Thank you two so much for your great help and explanations, dear uncle!

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Well, you
    Well, it's better to check than to assume: 30 000 finds by google for "piosenki kościelne".

jasio

30 000 finds by google for "piosenki kościelne".
    I must have a different google... 5200 finds vs. ~42 000 of "pieśni kościelne". And almost 200 000 of "piosenki religijne", which almost killed me, because for me it sounds like sitting in pants behind the wheel of a limo. But ok, not every song needs to be solemn.

< Previous | Next >