1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

pieces of puzzle

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pasv, Apr 17, 2007.

1. pasv New Member

Slovakia, Slovak
    Hi all,

"There are a lot of missing pieces of puzzle in the theory of ... that have to be gathered/found/? in order to get a complete and clear picture about ..."

Is it correct?

Thanks a lot!

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    "Pieces of puzzle" is incorrect, it should be "pieces of the puzzle", or "puzzle pieces"

I would suggest "found" is better because the pieces are missing. I would also suggest that "need to be found" will probably sound better than "have to be found".

3. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    I would say,

4. evilregis Senior Member

English, Canada
    Not a bad start. What I would say:

There are a lot of puzzle pieces missing in the theory of ... that need to be solved in order to get a complete and clear picture about ...

5. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    I agree with evilregis. "Puzzle pieces" is better because it seems a bit clearer than "pieces of the puzzle."

6. AWordLover

AWordLover Senior Member

Atlanta, Georgia USA
    USA English
    I might say this too, but it is a mixed metaphor. It is like pieces of a puzzle (that should be found or fit together). That need to be solved, missing pieces of a puzzle are not solved, puzzles are solved.