1. Gene59 New Member

    when you don't really feel like going somewhere, in French you say "aller avec les pieds de plomb". How would you say that in English ?
  2. Quaeitur

    Quaeitur Mod'elle

    Lille, France
    Hello and welcome to the forum Gene59 :)

    In English, you can use the expression: dragging one's feet that translates the same idea.
  3. You could drag your feet.
    You could go there with a heavy heart.
  4. johnblacksox Senior Member

    English - US
    "Dragging one's feet" is good.

    I disagree with "heavy heart"...That means "sad", at least in AE.

    Sidenote: In AE, you can say someone has a "lead foot", but it means that they drive fast. :)
  5. johnblacksox Senior Member

    English - US
    Although, wait, on second thought...If the French expression means that you are going somewhere you don't want to go..."Dragging your feet" means more that you are avoiding going, or putting off going...

    So for instance, say that Bob has to go to the dentist to get a painful procedure done. If you say "Bob is dragging his feet about going to the dentist", it means he is putting it off.

    If Bob is actually going to the dentist, then you would not use "dragging his feet".

    I think a better translation might be something like, "Bob is going kicking and screaming to the dentist". Or, "Bob is going to the dentist kicking and screaming".
  6. LART01

    LART01 Senior Member

    La Haye Pays-Bas
    Vous êtes surs de cette expression les pieds de plomb en français?
    Je ne l'ai jamais entendue
    Amusant = cette expression veut dire aller doucement en italien!
  7. blond2comet

    blond2comet Senior Member

    Pau, France
    Je connais 'semelles de plomb' pour dire y aller à reculons...
    Mon côté football addict pense plus à pieds de plomb pour quelqu'un qui joue vraiment très mal...

Share This Page