Pierce the pen through the paper?

< Previous | Next >

cheerfulscience

Turkish
Hi. Suppose I put a pen through a paper, making a hole in it. In this case, I know I can say "I pierced the paper with the pen", but is it correct to say "I pierced the pen through the paper"? I have searched for an example for the latter in many dictionaries but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Just to be sure about this, do you mean that you deliberately made a hole in the paper with your pen, or did the pen make the hole by accident?

cheerfulscience

Turkish
    Just to be sure about this, do you mean that you deliberately made a hole in the paper with your pen, or did the pen make the hole by accident?
    Yes, or 'I poked a hole in the paper with a pen'.
    I poked a pen through the paper would work.
    I deliberately made a hole in the paper. The main reason why I asked this question is I was watching a youtuber who began learning English at 7 and now speaks it with great fluency that I can't distinguish from natives', and in one of his videos where he was recounting an instance at school in his childhood that left a mark in his hand, he said "I held the pencil in a way in which the eraser made contact with the booty but instead of maintaining this position I then decided to open my hand and had the pointed end driven into my palm as I pushed forward. And not only that but Dave also got startled from the poke and staggered back further, piercing the pencil through... I am just kidding".

I was surprised at this usage of the word pierce because until then I had always thought it was a wrong way to use it, and given the speaker's fluency, not to mention his immense exposure to English since 7, I thought this was one of the ways unmentioned in dictionaries to use the word pierce, though still with enough doubt to lead me to ask it here.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's not the normal way. But I don't necessarily think it was because he's a non-native speaker. I can imagine a native speaker saying that when talking casually without a script and not having the words come out exactly perfectly when telling an exciting story.

< Previous | Next >