pierced again with piercing thrills of sensuality, different, sharper, more terrible than the thrill

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(chapter 16, near the end of this chapter) by Lawrence (here):
(background: When Connie went upstairs, Mellors was attracted by her beauty……)

It was a night of sensual passion, in which she was a little startled and almost unwilling: yet pierced again with piercing thrills of sensuality, different, sharper, more terrible than the thrills of tenderness, but, at the moment, more desirable. Though a little frightened, she let him have his way, and the reckless, shameless sensuality shook her to her foundations, stripped her to the very last, and made a different woman of her. It was not really love. It was not voluptuousness.

The part in blue is quite difficult for me. Could you tell me how to understand it please
Now I insert some notes in it. Am I right?
unwilling(because she's shy): yet(=but) pieced(a verb, describing the action of being thrust by his p e n i s) again with piecing thrills of sensuality(=the excitement of being thrust through her body), different, sharper, and more terrible than the thrills of tenderness(=affectionateness), but at the moment, more desirable.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think "pierce" is used to reflect both physical penetration and the strength and impact of the emotional consequence of their relationship.

< Previous | Next >