Pig ivy

James Brandon

English + French - UK
Why 'pig ivy'? Is it a special type of ivy or is it because this ivy is liked by pigs?

Quote: It was unlikely that Rhea would have seen Susan’s face through the dense overgrowth of pig ivy even if the old besom had been looking in that direction, and she wasn’t.

Wizard and Glass, by Stephen King, 2003.

Insight welcome. Thanks

• waltern

English - USA
    It seems to be an invented term, my guess would be Stephen King just liked the way the words sounded together...perhaps it implies an ivy that grows stubbornly (something like kudzu?)

James Brandon

English + French - UK
    I had never heard of kudzu, but it could be that 'pig ivy' is actually not a type of ivy, but another plant that may (or may not even) look like (or spread like) ivy. Or it could be that it is a made-up word. I was intrigued by it, since a preliminary search on line threw up no clues. Yet it can be found in print (cf. my quote).

James Brandon

English + French - UK
    Fair enough: in which case it would be a made-up word. So far, we have had no convincing information as to the meaning of the term, if it has any. And there may be no specific meaning if it actually is what you say it might be, Waltern...

< Previous | Next >