pigeonholes

rpleimann

USA English
I recently posted a thread in the Spanish-English forum asking about a word (casilleros) that is translated in the dictionary to "pigeonholes." However, the usage of the word was "locker."

To me "pigeonholes" means little holes (maybe close together) and "to pigeonhole" means to classify a person or group of people by a stereotype.

Does "pigeonholes" mean "lockers" in another English-speaking location? (I am from Ohio, USA.)

• timpeac

English (England)
    rpleimann said:
    I recently posted a thread in the Spanish-English forum asking about a word (casilleros) that is translated in the dictionary to "pigeonholes." However, the usage of the word was "locker."

To me "pigeonholes" means little holes (maybe close together) and "to pigeonhole" means to classify a person or group of people by a stereotype.

Does "pigeonholes" mean "lockers" in another English-speaking location? (I am from Ohio, USA.)

I agree with your translations. "pigeonhole" to me is an open cubby-hole for post. Not a cupboard that you can lock.

rpleimann

USA English
    Tim,
    I think I might have solved the mystery. This no longer fits with English-only, so this thread might get moved, but...
    From what I can gather, the Spanish-speakers use “pigeonholes” to refer to many things, including, but not limited to, post (mail) boxes, compartments for holding chess or other game pieces, ticket offices in front of theaters, the boxes on data spreadsheets, traps for birds, divided compartments in a box, and divided shelves. It also refers to lockers, but because there is not a difference for the vocabulary in Spanish between a locker and the boxes for post (mail), the Word Reference dictionary doesn’t make that distinction.
    Rhonda

timpeac

English (England)
    rpleimann said:
    Tim,
    I think I might have solved the mystery. This no longer fits with English-only, so this thread might get moved, but...
    From what I can gather, the Spanish-speakers use “pigeonholes” to refer to many things, including, but not limited to, post (mail) boxes, compartments for holding chess or other game pieces, ticket offices in front of theaters, the boxes on data spreadsheets, traps for birds, divided compartments in a box, and divided shelves. It also refers to lockers, but because there is not a difference for the vocabulary in Spanish between a locker and the boxes for post (mail), the Word Reference dictionary doesn’t make that distinction.
    Rhonda

Gracias por harberlo aclarado.

Now they'll definitely move it;)